Author Journey: March 8, 2024 - Forgetfulness & Determination

 Welcome to the scenic route! First, I'll apologize for missing last Friday. I've been so busy trying to get ready for the event I'll tell you about below, that other things were set aside. I haven't been idle, just busy. I'm so excited to tell you about the Read Across America event and my experience this year. Let's get to it!


Author Journey: Forgetfulness & Determination

I guess that title should really read 'Forgetfulness, Prograstination, & Determination' but who's picking at those nits? Not I! 

Seriously, though, I knew on January 31 that I'd be participating in the Read Across America event at Legacy Christian Academy. They'd gotten my name from a mutual friend last year and had asked me to come again. To be honest, I didn't expect that. It was a pleasant sort of prodding that got me going on a few things I'd been dragging my feet on. 

Cue checklist creation, right?

  • New updated business cards - ✅
  • New really cool mini bookmarks - ✅
  • Choose which part of the story to read - *erm...*
  • New bead merchant costume - *screeching halt*
I know I posted on social media about my new business cards. They came out so well! I tried a new company and I'm pleased with the results. I'll probably redesign them again next year, but for now, these are good. I had already created what I wanted. The only thing I had to do was find a site who could work with me that wasn't Vista Print. (They've made some iffy choices I disagree with, so I've decided against using their services for now.) I also wanted to try someone else besides Zazzle. The new company is a bit pricey, so I don't know if I'll use them again. I'd love to be able to work with the printers in my local area one day. 

The mini bookmarks were so fun to create! They match my new series covers and showcase the symbols I created for my book world. Rather than being focused on a single book, they can be used to market the series and any other stories or novellas which take place in Y'Dahnndrya. These I ordered through Zazzle. The kids seemed to appreciate them better than a business card, too, though I think they liked last year's map best. 

Now when it came to deciding which part to read, I first thought of the scene where Outh'n has to cross the sea. It's one of my favorites, but it's about halfway through the story and could be a spoiler. Then I thought to read the part my blurb comes from in which Outh'n meets Oowah. But I was almost positive that part contained a derogatory term (made up, but still) which was too close to a modern day word that is far too commonly used. In the end, at the last minute, I decided to start at the beginning. 

And then there was the costume I'd planned. It was going to be oh, so fabulous! ...And it still will be, but not in time for the event. After I'd finalized things with my connection, I set to work pulling out fabrics and patterns. Then my awesome husband told me we had enough extra to spend a little on a super-awesome, embroidered net I'd had my eye on for a couple years at Joann's. I ran out of time, though, when it came to the actual sewing. 

I always forget that there's always a problem which crops up in the construction process. I had to rip and re-sew one seam. I ran out of eyelets, too. I planned to initially use the grommets you have to use a setting tool for. But I somehow forgot how our cat hates loud banging noises. Before I'd decided on the grommets, I thought maybe sewing some metal rings for the lacings would look pretty cool. I bought two packages of forty spacer rings which are used for jewelry. I ran out of those after the sleeves, shoulder straps, and one side were completed. 

If that wasn't enough of an issue, I cut the skirt opening incorrectly. I now have to cut a new piece of fabric for that part before I can finish the skirt. Still, it's almost complete and if it looks half as good as I hope, it's still going to be fabulous. 

Here are a few photos I snapped of the progress:





As you can see, progress was made. It just wasn't enough progress. And that's entirely on me. If I'd started working on it immediately, I'd have had time to run to the store to pick up the eyelets I needed, and recut the fabric piece for the step I constructed incorrectly. Still, I'm not displeased with what you see here. I'm super excited to wear this in the future. 

On the Day

The morning of the event was spent sewing initially. I really did try to finish that costume. But I'd planned the night before to pull out a skirt that I made years ago and wore only once. It's black with a wide green trim on the bottom which I added a few glass beads to. It matched my favorite medieval-esque, steampunk vest well enough. So I paired those with the shirt and bustier top I usually wear with the vest. Not what I'd wanted, but it worked well enough. I even got compliments on the outfit. They haven't seen anything yet, though... 😁

When I got to the school, I was nervous because I was running late. My first group was outside, which was awesome. The weather was gorgeous -- sun shining, cool breeze blowing. And the first group was part of the class I'd read to last year, though it was only the boys. 

It is a wonderful thing to hear that someone you read to a year ago still remembers you and your book with fondness. That made me so happy! Last year, I was so nervous I doubted they were that impressed. And usually kids move on from one thing to the next pretty quickly. 

Last year, I only read to one class because my anxiety was super high and the planning was so organic. I now know I need a rigid schedule so I know what to expect and when to expect it for these type of events. This year, I knew I was supposed to read to two classes. I ended up reading to four. My last group was made up of mostly repeat students, so they got to hear all the way through chapter four. 

...Which presented a tiny issue. That word I was trying to avoid cropped up in chapter three and I had to skip over it. They didn't seem to mind. And I think I managed it well. I wish I didn't have to skip it, but I don't want to give them any fodder for sibling fights. 👀

I was starting to lose my voice and felt a little tightness in my chest by the end. Thankfully, I'd brought my tincture for breathing with me. The one thing about old buildings in Louisiana is that humidity always does a number on them, even if we can't see it. And as much as we dust, there's always more of that. 

Still, though, four classes! And the last teacher said, "I'll need one of those bookmarks. I need to know what happens next." God bless her! 

Overall, this was a win.

Photo by John D Kittles ©2024

The teacher with the first group was my contact with the school. It was the first time she'd heard me read. She got a picture of me with the group, which I won't post here because...minors and legalities. She also got a couple of videos which I can't post here for the same reasons. But it's nice to have those, anyway. 


Thank y'all so much for visiting the blog today. I hope you enjoyed this post. Let me know what you think in the comments below. Please visit again soon. The plan is to post again on next Friday, but as last week showed clearly, I'm obviously still not solidly into that schedule yet. Thanks for your patience, encouragement, and support. 

Until next time,
Turn the page...

Comments

Popular Posts