Book Notes: October 18, 2023 - Suspense Romance & Fantasy Finds

 Welcome to the scenic route! I'm a little late getting to the post today. It's been kind of a crazy year...yet again. Why does it feel like after our almost-year of rest in 2020, things picked up even faster and have NOT slowed down? It's like we can't catch a breath. Anyway, here I am with two book reviews and a word prompt, as promised. And I'm happy you're here, ready to check these out. 

Book Notes: Sealed With Justice (Called to Protect book 3) by Laura Scott

Sealed with Justice  (Called To Protect Book 3)Sealed with Justice by Laura Scott
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Good Suspense

The suspense and action were pretty good in this story. The last couple of chapters seemed clipped or rushed. The dialog between the MCs came across to me as awkward. But overall, the story was solid enough to be an enjoyable one. If you enjoy inspirational suspense romance, you might enjoy this book.

View all my reviews

While she's not my all-time-favorite suspense romance author, Laura Scott does a pretty good job getting the plot down in a way that keeps a reader interested. So I would say she'd probably fall somewhere within my top ten.

Book Review: Queen of the Wild Range (Tales from Adia #2) by Maggie Platt


Queen of the Wild Range (Tales from Adia #2)Queen of the Wild Range by Maggie Platt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Awesome adventure, growth in characters, and beautiful world building all blend together to continue this series which my daughter and I are enjoying immensely. The story is allegorical in nature, with a spiritual bend I've been loving. True, it's fiction, but I can see where the author is going and what she's alluding to quite clearly. Whether someone else sees the same thing, I don't know. Still, there are some great life lessons being taught in these characters. The story is clean. There are characters in the tale a reader can look up to, as well as relate to, which I find lacking in so many other books written by modern authors. If you get a chance to read this book, don't pass it up.

View all my reviews

Maggie Platt is an awesome author. I'm really invested in this series and eagerly awaiting book three. 


Just Keep Writing: Wednesday Whimsy

If this is your first time participating in this kind of writing exercise, you're in for a treat. If you've done this with me before, just keep scrolling for the prompt.

Rules:

  1. You can use any/all of the words and/or the photo in the prompt below to create a unique written work. Fiction or nonfiction, poetry or prose, even lyrics are acceptable.  
  2. Please keep the material you write clean (i.e. nothing R-rated or worse) if you wish to share the link to your work here, as well as if you link back to my site. I strive to keep my site free of such things. My readers know and expect this. I respect your right to write whatever you feel you need to write. And you're free to use my prompts. But if your material is graphic, I'd rather not view it, and most of my readers will not wish to. 
  3. Have fun! This type of exercise is perfect for growing in the writing craft, or for helping through a rough patch in your current WIP. If you're looking to push your author limits and you normally write in nonfiction prose, try a whimsical collection of lyrics. If you normally write poems about real life events, try your hand at a fanfic. Give yourself some room to explore.

Don't forget to leave a link to your creation (unless you're writing graphic material) so my readers and I can check out your work. I'd appreciate a link back to this post to help me reach more readers, but it's not required. 


These words are sparking all kinds of ideas in several different genres. What do you think? Can you work with them? 


I'm so glad you stopped by today. What did you like best about this post? Did you find a book to check out? Or maybe you found the word prompt helpful? Please let me know in the comment section. 

Again, I apologize for the lateness of today's post. It's been a busy week and my schedule was shot to pieces. My mom's health has improved a little but we still don't know why she's having trouble with certain foods. And we're still having tests run, so those kinda throw me off my game. 

Add to that, several homemade gift projects that need to be done before Christmas -- which is barreling our way faster than a speeding bullet. I'm so not ready! Are you?

Tomorrow, I'll have a fresh word prompt to share with you. Won't you visit again and bring a few creative friends along with you? 

Until next time,
Turn the page...

Comments

Popular Posts