Author Journey: September 16, 2022

 Welcome back! I have a couple more raw chapters to share with you. There's a three-word prompt included in this post, too, which I hope you'll have fun with. So let me get to it...


Author Journey: Writing Update

I'm still stymied by lack of funds for publishing. I'll be publishing The Tale of Outh'n Durr as soon as I'm able to clear that hurdle. There's every hope it will be soon. 🙏

Surge is still in edits. As a matter of fact, I'll likely work on it during Nano, even though I dislike using the official Nano event for existing works. I think it's better for creating new novels, but one does what one must. 😣


Friday Fascicles: Three-Word Prompt Challenge

If this is your first time participating in such a writing exercise, you're in for a treat.

Rules:

  1. You can use any/all of the words and/or the photo in the prompt below to create a unique written work. Fiction or nonfiction, poetry or prose, even lyrics are acceptable.  
  2. Please keep the material you write clean (ie. nothing R-rated or worse) if you wish to share the link to your work here, as well as if you link back to my site. I strive to keep my site free of such things. My readers know and expect this. I respect your right to write whatever you feel you need to write. And you're free to use my prompts. But if your material is graphic, I'd rather not view it, and most of my readers will not wish to. 
  3. Have fun! This type of exercise is perfect for growing in the writing craft, or for helping through a rough patch in your current WIP. If you're looking to push your author limits and you normally write in nonfiction prose, try a whimsical collection of lyrics. If you normally write poems about real life events, try your hand at a fanfic. Give yourself some room to explore.

Don't forget to leave a link to your creation (unless you're writing graphic material) so my readers and I can check out your work. I'd appreciate a link back to this post to help me reach more readers, but it's not required.


Just Keep Writing: Knock, Breathe, Shine by Robin McElveen - Chapters 3 & 4

Chapter 3 - What's Your Name?

The man was bleeding all over her floor. How had she missed that? Of a certain, his unexpected presence had shaken her. While that might have thrown her usual vigilance off a bit, she reluctantly admitted his appearance might’ve had something more to do with it. Though he’d slumped as he walked through her home, she’d thought it was due more to the low ceilings. The rags he wore couldn’t conceal his normally good health or his impressive stature. As soon as he stood, her cozy home had closed in around them, making her most uncomfortable. 

Still, she couldn’t turn him away. His wounds had to be tended and Tugansol’s messengers were not to be denied help. She was exactly as he’d said, a true Child, though she’d never referred to herself that way. Too many people claimed that status and then behaved in ways completely opposite to the ancient truths. The faithful had moved away from the title since false followers had sullied the meaning behind it.

Shaking her head as she remembered the brutality turned against him that long ago dawning, she mentally tallied the supplies she’d need to treat his wounds and helped him remove the dirty cloth he’d swaddled himself in. 

“Why are you wrapped in all of this?” 

“No one notices a beggar. Thinking them to be an exile, they either ignore them or chase them away.” The tense words betrayed his growing pain and exhaustion, but he offered her a rascally grin.

“Your attempt at humor doesn’t hide the facts. Your disguise didn’t work so well. Pity, that.” She hated pawing him, but finally, she found the end of one of the cloths. “Aha! Let’s get this off so we can see how much damage they’ve done.” She cringed and he chuckled. What an awfully wayward set of words she’d uttered! Heat born of intense embarrassment spread up her neck and she refused to look at his face. Her mouth was the main reason she was alone, had never taken a life-mate.

Though he wasn’t able to help too much, together they unwrapped so many layers, she was beginning to wonder if there was anything to his body at all! The pile on the floor grew until it reached her knees. When she removed the last piece, she sighed, “Finally!” 

He chuckled again, the richness of the sound somehow filling the room with warmth. She’d only experienced that with her moyri’s babeiya. Blinking in surprise, she forgot her shame and looked into the man’s eyes again. “Is there some reason you can’t tell me your name?” 

Chapter 4 - Breaking the Silence

His name? What would she think if he shared it with her? He’d worked so hard to rid himself of his D’Koruyin ways, tried so hard to fit into the clan where he’d been sent by his own Guardian. His life depended on keeping that secret, but Merili could be trusted. He knew it deep in his soul. He could give her the name he’d taken, but it would be nice to hear his own again, especially in her lilting soprano. 

Decision made, he faced her and said, “My name is Aerako Mekanta.” 

As she processed his revelation, the color fled her cheeks. She gasped, then looked anywhere but at him. His already stressed heart clenched, waiting. Was this going to be her breaking point? 

She turned back to him, raising her eyes, hesitant to meet his. Then she straightened her shoulders and nodded sharply once. “Aerako Mekanta, what are you calling yourself while you visit our clan lands?”

He smiled fully and took a deep, painful breath before replying. “I’m called Eerk Balser, but it was nice to hear my name again. It’s been a long time.”

She nodded. “I never suspected. Your accent is only slight. I thought it was because you came from a different area of Shinnoah. I’ve never really left this place, but for the Great Gathering. Even that is rare for me. I’ve been twice, both times when my parents were still among the living.” 

Aerako nodded encouragement as Merili checked the wounds on his arm and at his side. She prodded the first tentatively, but it still drew a hiss from him. Yes, his D’Koruyin ways were a thing of the long ago past. Back then, he would have breathed evenly regardless of the pain. No emotion would’ve been allowed to show. And in the presence of an outclanner, there would be no evidence that he was even mortal, besides any visible wounds or scars.

“I’m sorry. I don’t mean to hurt you. I can help, though. Give me a moment to gather my supplies.” With that she scurried through another door which opened on the right. The room had been cloaked in shadows but the growing brightness of another lamp cast wavering shadows on the wall he could see. In no time, Merili was back with a wide, flat basket. 

She knelt by him again and settled her basket on the floor beside her. Picking up a pale, dull, pink vial, she held it out to him. He took it, but looked at her questioningly. “Just hold it for a moment. I need a couple of strips of dressing fabric.” She rummaged through the basket and held them up. Then she plucked out a dual blade, crossed at the middle which he hadn’t seen often. They didn’t have any blades like them in his home territory. 

“Alright,” she murmured. “Let’s get started. You’re blessed by Tugansol, Eerk. These wounds will heal well enough on their own, given time and the proper treatment. Just keep them clean and get plenty of rest.”

Writer's Life

Our family is involved in softball this season. There's a city league near our church, so our congregation put together a team. I don't think we'll win a whole lot of games, but we have the potential to do so, and certainly, the gumption. 

Home school work is progressing well, even if other things aren't moving along so smoothly. I'm thankful for that. 

The kittens are growing well and thriving. We'll be taking them for their second vet visit soon. 

We've been keeping busy and I hope to be starting a small, autumn container garden soon. That'll add to my plate, but hopefully it'll be worth it when it adds variety to my dinner plates. 😁


Thank y'all for stopping by today. I appreciate your support and encouragement as I continue my writing journey. 

I hope you'll have fun with the writing prompt, or reading the story, or just seeing what other people are doing while the world crashes and burns around us. 

"My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness"...as the hymn goes. (The Solid Rock) In Him, my hope is sure, and no matter what, I'm certain His plan is good, even when I don't understand the details. 

Until next time...
Turn the page...

Comments

Popular Posts