Book Notes: August 10, 2022 - Suspense Romance

 Welcome back for another round of book reviews! I hope you'll see something which interests you. If you do, or if you've already read one of these, please share in the comments below. 

On with the reviews!

Book Review: The Professor's Secret Crush by Elana Johnson


The Professor's Secret Crush (Forbidden Lake Romance #1)The Professor's Secret Crush by Elana Johnson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A Good Story

I've read this author's work many times, but not in this genre. It was nice to see she did just as good a job as I would expect. I liked the characters, plot, and story execution. It's clean, the romance was interesting, and the ending, satisfying. If that appeals to you, I recommend this book.

View all my reviews

Book Review: Dark Harbor by Christy Barritt

Dark HarborDark Harbor by Christy Barritt
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

An OK Read

As I read this book, I just kept thinking the heroine was just so monumentally dumb. And the hero made a couple of glaring mistakes that didn't fit with what I'd expect of a veteran law enforcement officer in his position. Too many details just didn't mesh. However, the plot was interesting enough that I wanted to keep reading to find out if my few questions would be answered. The main villain wasn't who I thought it would be. That was also a plus. The ending was fairly satisfying and there weren't any loose ends. So if you're looking for a complete story that's easy to read and none of what bothered me bothers you, you might enjoy this clean, lightly inspirational romance.

View all my reviews

Conclusions on These Books

The Professor's Secret Crush 

This book has been renamed Hidden in Plain Sight, I think. At least, that's the book cover I have and it came fresh from the author. Maybe it will be updated soon.  

In any case, one thing that could've been better about this book was that it was so sweet in lots of areas where it probably would've been better to build tension. I also wasn't sure about the secrecy of the relationship and how it resulted in them having to tell a few lies to keep things under wraps. I did like how the story resolved, though, because the loose ends were tied up well. 

Dark Harbor

It's really distressing when an author creates a broken hero or heroine who has been through so many things and yet still makes monumental mistakes only a rookie would. That can ruin a story pretty quickly for me. 

I'm sure this post isn't my best. I'm fighting a bit of a sinus drip and am also trying to hurry to post this. I didn't want to miss the post, but this week is pretty hectic. 

I will have a post for you Friday and hopefully some good news to share with you about my publish-ready manuscript. I should also have either a picture or video of the kittens, too. Hope you'll visit again soon!

Turn the page...

Comments

Popular Posts