Author Journey: May 27, 2022 - Simply Living Life

 I have a few things to share with you. I hope you'll enjoy the post and that it will be helpful. I also hope you'll be smiling by the end. 



Author Journey: Writing Update

As of today, I haven't even touched The Tale of Outh'n Durr. I'm going to work on some of it today. Hopefully, I can knock out that final run through for SNWC (Strange-New-Words Consistency). That's really all that's left before getting the publishing stage started. And there's no better time than the present. If I can get it all done before June 1st, then I might be able to publish it sometime in June, certainly no later than July, at least in ebook format. Please keep me in your prayers. 

Author Journey: Strange Wordings - Are They Correct in Certain Places, or Just Plain Wrong?

Have you ever read through a novel and found a word or phrase that just didn't sound correct? I do it all the time. There are differences in language usage from place to place, even within a single country. It's important to take that into consideration when reading, I think. 

Some of my pet peeves are:

  • All of a Sudden vs All the Sudden - I think this is normal in some areas, but Cambridge Dictionary has it listed as 'all of a sudden' and that's the only way I heard it while growing up. So when I see 'all the sudden' or 'all of the sudden', I cringe. Sorry!
  • Dribble vs Drivel - Dribble is a verb meaning to flow very slowly in small amounts. Drivel is a noun meaning nonsense or boring and unnecessary information. I'm not sure how the verb became confused with the noun. I'll assume it's because the word 'drivel' is almost archaic and rarely used. It's probably easy to assume one is incorrect because the word may sound foreign when it's spoken or written down. 
I hope these two offerings will help readers clear up any confusion, at least where these words and phrases are concerned. I know when I'm writing, I want to nail that word or phrase perfectly. When I don't, I feel like the biggest dummy ever. 

Author Life: Kitten Update

The kittens are thriving and bouncing or bumbling around trying to explore. We're going to keep them in our home for a few weeks, at the very least. I want to make sure they have a strong chance of survival before setting them loose on the world. 

Dusk's eye is still healing but looks so much better than when we first found her. She's loving and quite the cuddle-bug. She is most happy to sit and observe for now. I think she's taking it a bit easy because of her eye, but she still plays from time to time. 

And Spartacus is exactly as his name implies - a fighter and quite lively. I doubt he'll make a great indoor cat. He'll be the curtain-shredding, upholstry-ripping, book-tearing nightmare type of cat, I think. Cute...but not when he'll be tearing up the books we need to keep whole. XD

Here's a little video of feeding time...

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't help smiling when I hear the smacking of these little ones at feeding time. :D


Thank y'all so much for taking time to read today's post. I hope you found it helpful, encouraging, and sweet. 

Next Wednesday, I'll have more book reviews to share. 

Turn the page...

Comments

Popular Posts