Book Notes: January 19, 2022 - Days of Future Past?

 Welcome back to another round of book reviews! I must confess, I'm reading some really interesting variety now that my book fund has mostly dried up. I've been digging into my Kindle to find books that have gotten pushed onto the back or shelved too high up on the virtual bookshelf. As such, I'm finding a few gems I forgot I had, as well as some total fails. Since one-star reviews are so very detrimental to an author just starting out, I usually just stop in the middle and don't review if the book is that bad. But I do try very hard to finish every book I begin. Having said that, I'm going to get on with the book reviews I want to share with you today -- one historical, and one futuristic. 


Book Review: A Selfish Heart (Landon House #2) by Rose Pearson

A Selfish Heart (Landon House, #2)A Selfish Heart by Rose Pearson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Good, Sweet Regency Romance

While certain aspects of this story were a bit more fanciful than might have occurred back then, the story and the MCs were very sweet. The story moved along at a good pace. I loved the way the plot unfolded.
If you love sweet Regency romance, I recommend it to you.

View all my reviews

My review of this is so short because I was finishing it up when my Bible study group was getting ready to begin. This was a fun book to read. The hero came across as a bit too young and idealistic for me to really /love/ him, but he did come across very likeable, like I might view a precocious child. The heroine was just as I might expect a young debutante to be during her first season in which she was actually looking for a husband. Overall, it was believable enough that I wasn't rolling my eyes or sighing in despair, and fanciful enough to help me really enjoy the story. 

Book Review: aHunter4Rescue (aHunter4Hire #1) by Cynthia A Clement


aHunter4Rescue (aHunter4Hire, #1)aHunter4Rescue by Cynthia A. Clement
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Closer to 3.75 Stars

Too many instances that were too perfect or too neat made parts of the story too far-fetched to me. Yes, I know it's sci-fi romance, but those details can really make or break a story. Grammar and structure, as well as pacing seemed well-done to me. The characters were interesting, as was the world building. I won't be reading anymore of these because this author's definition of sweet romance isn't the same as mine, apparently. If you're looking for a clean read, might wanna skip this one. It's not as over-the-top as some others, but it's there. There wasn't any cussing, so for me, that was a point in it's favor.
If you enjoy spicy, alien romance stories with some adventure, you might enjoy this book.

View all my reviews

This book has been sitting in my Kindle for an extremely long time. I think I confused it with another one I'd already read. The world building was really nice for this one. But I cannot stand 'fated mate' type stories. It's so lame if the guy loves the girl because he has no other choice. How very unmanly! And it's hard for me to respect a character like that. Even in Sherrilyn Kenyon's books, I never did like that bit. 

As I said in the review, the sex wasn't so excessive. I skipped sections which seemed to be leading that direction, of which there were two or three. So the bulk of the book was indeed story. Other than that, the book is interesting enough that I finished it. Trust me! That's saying something. 


I hope you enjoyed my play on an album title for the title of this blog. I thought it fitting considering the disparity in setting for this week's books. I'll be back next week with another couple of books to share with you. 

I'm actually looking forward to a Laura Scott book I found in my email this morning. Maybe I'll be able to finish it before Wednesday, but I'm in the middle of a 3-volume historical romance set that's proving to be a challenge to read. The formatting isn't the best, to start with and the author seems to dislike contractions. But the plot is interesting. I'm going to keep reading. 

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts