Book Notes: December 1, 2021 - Broken Heroes

Welcome back! I can hardly believe this year is almost over. Some days seemed to dragged on and on. But others flew by so fast I can hardly remember they were even there. Am I the only one who witnessed that? I'm happy to get back to my regular postings of book reviews this week. I hope you'll see something you enjoy in this round.


Book Review: To Charm a Scarred Cowboy by Charlotte Dearing

To Charm a Scarred Cowboy (Brides of Bethany Springs Book 1)

To Charm a Scarred Cowboy by Charlotte Dearing
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Didn't Want to Put It Down

Once I started reading this book, I didn't want to put it down. I love a broken hero and a dedicated heroine, both of whom hold to good values and family loyalty. The fact that the story kept me turning pages in spite of the very few editing mishaps is also another point in the author's favor. I look forward to reading the next book in the collection.

View all my reviews

This book set me off on a Charlotte Dearing hunt. I love a broken hero who refuses to let life keep 'em down. This book checked off that particular box on my mental Good Story Checklist. I look forward to reading the rest of the stories in this series.

I'm in the middle of a 'mail order bride' series Ms. Dearing wrote, though three of the stories are not what one usually expects when starting this kind of story. They've been good, but one thing which has annoyed me is three sisters marrying three brothers. *blink* *blink* Couldn't one of them marry the blacksmith or something? Other than that and a ton of typos/mistakes that'll drive grammar & comp nerds nuts in books 3 and 4, the stories have kept me interested. They have some depth and that's the saving grace for them.  

Book Review: To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer

 

To Win Her Heart

To Win Her Heart by Karen Witemeyer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A Riveting Historical Romance

This book is the first one I've read by Karen Witemeyer. If it's typical work, the you can be sure I'll be reading many of her books in the future. I loved the MCs, the secondary characters, and the way the love grew between the MCs. It's kind of moot, maybe, but the cover art is awesome. If you're looking for a historical, inspirational romance with some grit and characters who are relatable and lovable, then do give this book a try!

View all my reviews

Something I particularly enjoyed about this book, besides the broken hero, was the strong faith element which is woven throughout the book. It's not preachy, but faith being lived out by the characters. I loved that these characters had to struggle to overcome. It wasn't implied, The author didn't tell the readers. We watch it unfold as we turn each page. A truly awesome book and one I highly recommend.


 Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog today. I hope you'll see something which will catch your eye. I've been gorging on romances this year, but I do hope to dig into some more of Melanie Dickerson's fairytale retellings before too long. I don't think I shared my reivew of The Healer's Apprentice yet, but maybe I did. I write down the books I review but I don't have my list handy right now. Continuing on...

Please do come back Friday for a look at my final NaNoWriMo word count and how this past month of writing looked and felt to me as I think back on it all. 

Hope to see you there!

Comments

Popular Posts