Author Journey: September 3, 2021 - Relief and Family

 This past week has been an interesting one. I guess it's true to say life isn't boring for long. The hurricane just missed us. We could see the gray edges of the storm, but we never got much from it in the way of wind or rain. God is good! My mother's family, who live on the east side of the Mississippi River, didn't fare quite as well. Their homes are still standing, but power has been out for a while. I'm sure the water quality won't be so good, either. As a result, we have an almost family reunion going on at my mom's house. It's great to be able to help family and know they'd do the same for us if the circumstances were reversed. 

Writer's Life

You may be wondering what all that has to do with my writing. My family is a huge inspiration in my work. Family loyalty is ingrained in us and I wouldn't have it any other way. While that may sound mafia-like, I can promise you it's a good bit different. XD I won't go into details, because I don't want to clutter up this post. But I think it's important to note not all families are torn apart, filled with infighting that leads to burned bridges and broken homes. My own example of family life gives me hope that more families can stay together and strengthen the bonds they have in healthy ways. 

In my writing, I like to show families which have accomplished this while allowing for individual members to be themselves. I have written stories of people who've suffered loss or separation from family, as well as a short story about a woman whose husband has forsaken the way of their god and left her and their children. While none of these situations are pleasant or ideal, they do happen in our lives and leave a huge impact. It also stretches my ability to write about broken homes and orphans. While I've not personally experienced separation or divorce or what it's like to be an orphan, I've witnessed the aftermath in my extended family and my husband and his family. 

I look forward to working more with these topics as my writing journey continues. How interesting it will be to see what pours out onto the screen!


Progress Report

I don't have a whole lot to share about the progress on The Tale of Outh'n Durr or Surge. I've been working on other things that have had to take precedence. However, I can't wait to get that cover completed for Outh'n's story so I can publish it ASAP. The story is as ready as I believe I can make it. It needs a glossary and perhaps a map, but after those things and the cover are set up, it'll be good to go. I'm so excited!


Thanks so much for checking out today's post. The success of my work is becoming a bigger deal considering everything that's happened since 2019. I may have to start writing full time, so please keep me and our family in your prayers as we try to figure all this out. We thank you in advance. 

Please stop by next Wednesday when I'll continue sharing my reviews on Leah Atwood's books. She writes cozy inspirational romances, both historical and contemporary. If you enjoy those types of books. Please check out her work! I've linked to her author page on Goodreads. 

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts