Book Notes: May 5, 2021

 Can you belive it's already the "Revenge of the Fifth"? Our family took a little and much needed vacation last week (which is why my Friday post didn't happen...WIFI was too far away from our cabin).  We visited one of the state parks not too far from our home. My husband and I visited the same part on our anniversary two years ago and decided then that we'd love to take our girls with us the next year...then the craziness of 2020 struck. I'm so happy we got to go this year, though. 

In keeping with the cabin theme, I decided to share a couple of historical romance novel reviews. I hope you'll be tempted to give these a chance. 


 Book Review: Her Only Hope by Julia Ridgemont

Her Only Hope (Brides of Hope Hollow Book 3)Her Only Hope by Julia Ridgmont
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Excellent Plot, ...Interesting Typos

I almost gave this story three stars because some of the vocabulary was seriously off. Apocalyptic instead of apoplectic; upper edge instead of upper hand; and there was one more and they seriously annoyed me.

Still, the action, dialogue, and characters were well put together. The plot is well done and worth your time if you can get past the typos in the last few chapters of the book.

I'd recommend this book to those who enjoy inspirational, historical romance which takes place in the American frontier.

View all my reviews

Book Review: A Bride's Dilemma in Friendship, Tennessee by Diana Lesire Brandmeyer


A Bride's Dilemma in Friendship, Tennessee (Frontier Legacy Brides #1)A Bride's Dilemma in Friendship, Tennessee by Diana Lesire Brandmeyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Exactly What a Historical Romance Should Be

The plot of this story was exactly what I expect from a historical romance set in the South during the reconstruction era. The formatting was odd in a couple of places. There were more than a few typos which could've been spotted easily by beta readers. Those were the main reasons I gave the book 4 stars instead of 5.

The characters were interesting and varied. At times, I was annoyed to be reading a side character's POV rather than seeing a continuation of the story. And some of the small details, while interesting, weren't truly necessary to the story about the MCs.

But I would definitely recommend this book to lovers of inspirational, historical romance. In spite of the obvious technical flubs, the story is good.

View all my reviews

I can honestly say, after reading a couple of lines from the book descriptions that these were memorable books and in a good way. The plots of both were interesting and they were enjoyable, clean, inspirational novels. 

So what have you enjoyed reading lately? I'd love to hear about it in the comments below. 

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you'll see something here which you'll try. If you do, I'd love to hear what you think. Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts