Author Journey: My Camp Nano (April) 2021 Project

 I meant to share something about this earlier in the month but I've actually been overwhelmed with the things on my plate. This year, my camp project is to edit 50k words in The Tale of Outh'n Durr and Surge


Camp Nano April 2021 Update

I haven't made it to the second part yet, but I'm almost through the first real edit of Outh'n's story. That's good since I really want to get that short story into ebook format. I'm just not certain I'll win this event. Whether I win or not, at least I'm making progress and that's a win for me and my readers!


 So how am I doing so far? Well, here are my stats...


A Sneak Peek!

It's pretty easy to see I have a looong way to go. I appreciate your support and encouragement! Here's a little excerpt from The Tale of Outh'n Durr:

Outh'n awoke to find himself in a darkened, wood-paneled room. The mattress beneath him was so lush, he sank deeply into it. Thinking back, he couldn't remember this room, but there was a memory of pain and something else equally unpleasant. 

He fought to remember – Meren, who'd proven to be a true friend, sped ahead of him, promising to make sure the missive reached his family in three dawnings. "What's wrong with the people of Prichud, Outh'n? I'll never understand how they could believe you would do such a thing."

Outh'n scoffed, sad resignation burning his eyes. "Believe it, Meren. There are people who are less civilized than the beasts of the wilds." Meren chuckled and Outh'n just stared at him until his mirth died. "Believe it, friend. I have lived it every day of my life. This eye," he paused and shook his head. "No. I thought this eye was the reason the other fellows left me out of everything and the girls stayed away. I guess I was wrong because I heard one say it was my ability to win races and hit the center of the target." He checked his pack over again as he continued. "Add to that I had an apprenticeship lined up with the best glashiin workers down Oxyl way..." 

"Jealousy? That bad?"

"I wouldn't have thought so. Not until this happened to me and not until I heard it from Kurg'l's own mouth. I didn't exactly live a glorious life. I grew up on a farm, a poor one at that. I had no friends until Alanyn pushed her way into my life. My family was, still is, everything to me."

"Well, my friend,” he paused, dropped his eyes, then raised them shyly, “I hope it's alright for me to call you that." Meren waited for Outh'n's nod before he finished his thought. "I'm off to deliver this. Pray for my success."

"I will Meren, though I'm not sure Tugansol hears me often."

"You doubt the very Breath of Life?" The surprise on Meren's face had Outh'n chuckling wryly.

"If you'd lived my life, you'd understand what I mean. I believe in Tugansol. I'm starting to believe there is some kind of plan and purpose for my existence." Outh'n looked around for Oowah who loped over to him licking his lips. He stood patiently at Outh'n's right side. "I know no other who would send me a wuveia friend and a faithful messenger, or who would bend the ears of a Guardian to my pleas. Tugansol must be at work." He shrugged. "I will pray. That's all I can promise you, Meren."

"And I will promise you one more thing, Outh'n Durr. I will send your family your well wishes."

Outh'n shook his head immediately. "You can't, friend Meren. Please do not do that. If they know I live, the ones who came after me before would not stop at anything, it seems, to see me dead or my family harmed in my place."

"Are you a coward then?" Disgust curled Meren’s lip up on one side.

Outh'n stared at him for several heartbeats before deciding his question wasn't a jibe. "No. But I would not see my family harmed if they are prevented from finding me. And I intend neither they nor anyone else will find me when I leave here today."

"But," Meren began but Outh'n cut him off.

"You must go, my friend. I thank you for your short friendship with me and for your promise and thought for my family and me. There's no safe place for me. Oowah, the Guardian, and you are the only people I have met since my sentence who even deigned to speak to me with courtesy. I will disappear. With Tugansol's guidance, may I never put a foot wrong on the path."

Meren nodded slowly, mounted, and wheeled away. Outh'n watched him until he disappeared around a turn in the path, then started after him, but the shrill voice of the Guardian halted him.

"Wait, Outh'n Durr! You younglings are always in such a hurry," he grumbled. "I have procured a mount for you. You do ride, do you not?" He smirked.

"Of course I ride, Honored Guardian," Outh'n smirked back. "I didn't get many chances to ride arb'la back home. But Babeiya taught me well on the cattle we herded."

"Then here. This is Eilse. She will carry you faithfully and speed you on your way. Got to Chefvna, to Bazhbet Mehya, the Senya there."

Outh'n cut in. "I know the Senya."

Seth Yi'in blinked in surprise. "How?"

"He came to my trial and spoke for me and my family."

The Guardian nodded. "He's a good man. Find him. Get a boat from him...


 I hope you enjoyed the short snippet and that it intrigues you enough to want to read the short story...well, it's more of a novelette. Subscribers will get a free ebook copy, but if you don't want to subscribe to my newsletter, it's only going to cost $0.99 USD. I hope to have that completely ready by the end of June, but it may be the end of July. I'm pushing myself to get something else published because it's been over two years since I published Ripples. I can hardly believe how fast time has flown!

Thanks again for following my writing journey. Hope to see you back next Friday. I'll have another update and snippet to share with you then. 

Comments

Popular Posts