Book Notes: Focus on Mona Ingram - March 3, 2021

 Wow! Last month was so much fun since I got to share my interview with Natasja Eby. Did you miss it? You can check it out now. Part one, part two, part three, and part four are available. Just click on the one you want to start with. This month, I'm back to sharing book reviews. I have two contemporary romances to share with you today. Read on to check them out.

Book Review: Full Circle by Mona Ingram

Full CircleFull Circle by Mona Ingram
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This wasn't at all like I expected. So I'll give bonus points for that. It moved slowly but steadily and the plot was interesting. So that was also a good thing. I felt like the end was a long time coming, though.

The story was clean and even the cursing was rare...maybe two instances. There weren't many typos. I liked the characters for the most part. If you enjoy slow moving romances, you might enjoy this story.

View all my reviews

As I read over this review, I had to go back and re-read the book blurb because I'd forgotten what the story was about. I think that means I didn't include spoilers in my review. XD 

However, I think I should expound a little more on why I gave this books four stars when my review looks like I didn't think it deserved it. I liked the slow pace of this book. I liked that it showed a woman determined to live life and carry on, taking on the responsibility of her child which was the result of an unplanned pregnancy. I kept expecting some kind of dirt on the birth mother's background which might present a darker twist on the tale, but it never came up. What a relief! 

I thought I'd gotten a Christian romance, but in retrospect, I couldn't remember whether the book was marketed that way or not. It's not really an inspirational romance in the genre sense, but the heroine's determination was inspirational, so there was that. The hero's respect for the heroine was also pretty refreshing. 

OK...on to the second one...

Book Review: Chasing Rainbows by Mona Ingram

Chasing Rainbows (Love in a Bottle, #1)Chasing Rainbows by Mona Ingram
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This romance was well-written with some interesting characters. I'm just not a fan of the style. It read almost like a bittersweet drama rather than a romance. I've read this author's work before and thought to give her work another try, but this'll probably be my last book.

One character I absolutely didn't like was the daughter. She was totally unbelievable, unless she was some kind of prodigy. I felt like all the scenes with her were odd. And why was this guy who was a lawyer presented as dumb compared to his kid?

My favorite characters were Damon, Sammy, and Taylor's parents. I loved the setting at the ranch. It was depicted beautifully by the author.

If you enjoy contemporary romance that fits somewhere between full-on romance and women's fiction, but reads almost like a mystery in some places, give this book a try.

View all my reviews

Y'all might think this is crazy but I didn't realize these two books were by the same author. I think I probably read them in the same month, even! I really have been scattered lately...

I have read several of Mona Ingram's books and while I think they're well-written, something about them just doesn't do it for me. Possibly the fact that these are not inspirational romances...? I don't know and don't hold out hope of finding out. I really do think this will be my last time reading her books, unless I catch them on a one day sale or something. 


What have you been reading lately? I seem to be stuck mostly on romance, but there are a couple of fantasy novellas in my TBR stack, as well as a couple of interesting biographies. I hope I'll feel like digging into those soon.

I'm hoping to have a post for you on Friday relating to how I've been progressing with my writing. Until then...y'all have a good week!


Comments

Popular Posts