Author Journey: Editing & Revisions - What's the Difference?

 I am eager to dig back into the manuscript for Surge, but as of the time I'm writing this, I haven't touched it much. I'm still periodically getting ideas for when I do start revisions in earnest. I write them down as they come to me to incorporate them into the story if need be later on. 

But this brought me to the question in today's topic. What's the difference between editing and revising a manuscript? 

What's the Difference Between Editing & Revising?

The first thing I want to do is look at the definition of each word.
Revise - transitive verb - To alter or edit a text.
Edit -  transitive verb - To prepare written material for publication or presentation, as by correcting, revising, or adapting. 

As you can see, revise is part of the definition of edit, and the reverse is true. I think this is why it may be a confusing concept for authors. But generally, revision refers to the act of getting all your content together in a cohesive, comprehensive whole, while editing refers to getting all the technical bits associated with words on either paper or screen put down in the proper format according to the rules of the language you are working with. 

Where I Am in the Process

I'm still in the revision part of the process. My story is pretty solid overall, but there are still some details missing that I need to fill in. Little things, which actually end up being bigger than you'd think, pop into my head as I read through what I have written already. Things like:

  • Why does he keep a broken chair?
  • Why haven't I been more descriptive with the physical traits of my characters when I know this is important for the reader to know them better?
  • Shouldn't she get that tunic sooner?
Revisions are not so easy, especially when you're working almost exclusively on your own. I'm thankful for a few family members who have been listening to the story as I read it aloud to check for flow and clarity. (This also helps me pinpoint stray POV switches, which is so very bad.) And I honestly think this part of the writing process is the most difficult for me. 

Help for Authors Who Struggle With Editing

If revision and editing are difficult for you, I highly recommend the free editing help available at Willow Editing. My friend, Elzevera, loves to create helpful tools to ease the anxiety of editing for authors, especially those who are just beginning their author journey.  I haven't spoken with my friend in a while, but the last time we talked, she was working on an intensive editing course to take the author deep into their story in order to create the best product possible before sending it off to be professionally edited or sent out for querying. 

I was able to be on the beta testing team for the program and I love the depth of the course and how detailed it is. I'll be using those guidelines to help me make Surge the best possible book I can write. Will it be perfect? Don't count on it! But it will be a product of intense labor and deep love for the craft and the One who gave me the ability to write in the first place. 

What About You?

Do you have a favorite method for revising and/or editing? I'm sure my readers and I would love to hear about it. Please feel free to share your experience in the comments below. Every little bit of shared knowledge helps, right?

Thanks for reading today! I hope you have a wonderful day filled with wonderful words and beautiful books.

Comments

Popular Posts