Author Journey: Fighting Burnout

From 2016 throughout 2019, I wrote like a mad fiend. I've got four novels and five or six short stories, all in various stages of completion to show for it. Only one novel and one short story have been published so far. And why is that? My cup is so empty right now. How did it come to this? And why? Well, here's what I think.

That Not-So-Mythical Burn-Out

Yeah, I think I've finally accepted that I'm just burnt out. I do most of the work in publishing my book myself because I can't afford to pay anyone. And if I could afford to pay someone, the first person I'd hire would be a quality editor. So I guess it was inevitable that I'd end up burnt out at some point. I have a really hard time finding balance, even in my every day chores. There are some weeks that I blaze through every chore and get my house in all kinds of sparkling, shiny order. But there are many more weeks when I'm doing good to manage the bare minimum. 

I feel like I'm at bare minimum on my writing now. In a way, that's not bad since I need to be more focused on my daughter's school for the time being. I am brainstorming, though, about ways to fix the holes I've already found in my story. I think I've got some good fixes ready, too. I'm just wondering when I'm actually going to be able to get it all written into the actual manuscript. 

Balancing everything has always been difficult for me, no matter which point of my life journey I'm traveling. I'm an all-or-nothing when it comes to projects. If I can't give them ALL, then they usually get nothing. I know it's not a productive way to write. But I don't see how I can overcome this way of doing things when that's literally the way my mind works. I've been this way all my life. 

I'm sure there's a work-around of some kind out there. I just haven't found it yet. 

Among the things I've been doing to stay busy, I bought some yarn with some of my Christmas money and plan to make some leg-warmers. One set will be yellow and black striped...go Hufflepuff! (My oldest daughter would be proud.) And the others are varigated in mostly earth tones. I can't wait to complete them...but I haven't even started yet. I hope to manage one pair at least before the weather turns warm again. 

I'm also planning to make a few more masks for my family. I just can't see how they could possibly help. And in my case, they always make my sinuses flare up. Dust mites are my bane so there's no chance of me 'getting used to it' or it 'going away'. I do wear a mask in places that say it's resquired, but more often, I choose to shop at places where it is requested. I still wear it in those places, but it's much easier to wear it when it's a request, rather than an order. Don't you think so? 

Anyway, I say all that to say this. I'm doing my best to get back to the work involved in publishing Surge. I'm doing everything I can to get my stuff in order and get back into a writing schedule that works with our current school and chore schedule and doesn't leave me exhausted before the end of the day. Surge is coming, make no mistake. 

Have you hit the burn out point? How'd you pull yourself out of it? I'd love to hear about it in the comments, if you feel like sharing. 

Don't Forget!

Ripples (Children of Y'Dahnndrya book 1) is still on sale. You can click here to choose from the list of ebook retailers to get your copy for only $0.99 USD. This price will be good until January 31, 2021. On February 1, 2021, it goes back up to the still affordable price of $2.99 USD. I hope you'll give it a try and let me know what you think. 

Clicking on this picture will also get you to the list of ebook retailers. 
 
Thanks for reading! I'll see y'all next Wednesday unless my chores and such crowd in again. 


Comments

Popular Posts