July 2019 Book Notes: Emerald Dodge & Kristah Price

 The short story Ignite was just the ticket for helping me get back on track with my reading goals. I've also been digging into my 'currently reading' book list on Goodreads and knocking some of those onto my 'read' list. That's helped a lot, too.

I got this short story, which is a prequel for the Battlecry series, when I signed up for the author's newsletter. I'm so happy it's listed on Goodreads because there are authors who share free stories that are bonus material, unavailable anywhere else. I can't leave a review for those or count them toward my goal. I'm not sure how to leave a review for a book that's not listed on Goodreads. If any of my readers knows how to do that, especially when the book doesn't have an ISBN or an AIN, I'd appreciate some help. :)

Since my review for Ignite is super short, I'm also going to share my review for a special book which took me far too long to read. I started reading Hidden Dreams back in 2014, about the time my daughter and husband were taking lead roles in our local stage production of 'The Diary of Anne Frank'. I ended up being stage manager for that and the book necessarily took a back seat and eventually got lost in the crashing waves of life. But I've finished it now and shared my review.

On to the reviews!


Book Review: Ignite (Battlecry #0.5) by Emerald Dodge

 

Ignite (Battlecry #0.5)

Ignite by Emerald Dodge
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I must admit, though I gave this book four stars, I'm intrigued. It's not something I'd usually pick to read because superhero stories have been so done and overdone. I received it free for signing up to the author's newsletter.
I'm rather tired of the typical superhero tale. But this one does seem to offer something a little different, to include how the world within the book is set up. I'd like to see where the story goes from this point on so I'll likely pick up book one at some point. And that's what a good prequel should do, right?
If you enjoy superhero stories, dark superhero stories, or fantasy stories, you might want to give this one a try.

View all my reviews

Wow...this is super short. But the story was super short and to say much might spoil it for others. You'll definitely want to check this series out if you enjoy superheroes and the more modern retellings of their stories in movies and TV. I think it's going to be a good series. Be sure to stop in to her website to learn more about the books.

 Book Review: Hidden Dreams by Kristah Price

 

Hidden Dreams

Hidden Dreams by Kristah Price
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

'Hidden Dreams' is a sweet romance with a hint of mystery. I loved the interaction between Cassie and Wyatt. The book was easy to read, a cozy-up-in-a-chair kind of book. I'm sorry it took me so long to finish reading it. The author did a wonderful job of painting her setting and her characters were spot-on. The supporting characters had just the right amount of "page time," giving me more opportunity to focus on the main characters. I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys sweet romance, contemporary romance, or fun mystery romance.

View all my reviews

Well...bleh...this one's also very short. It's been a busy week. Just know that I really enjoyed reading this book and I'm only sorry it took me so long to do so. You're gonna want to check this one out if you're looking for a cozy romance set in a beautiful New Zealand coastal town spiced with a dash of mystery. You might also want to stop by her website and check out her blog. She's written several different books, including a couple of YA novels I've been interested in for quite a while and still haven't been able to get. sigh


Not my best, I know. Next week's book review is a doozy, mostly because I was trying to be diplomatic and honest. I think I managed well, despite the nature of the beast. If that's piqued your interest, stay tuned for next week's book review.

Comments

Popular Posts