June 2019 Book Notes: C.B. Stone

 This post goes out with a somewhat heavy heart. I like so many things about C.B. Stone's Awakening but I just felt like there was a lot more that could've been done with it. Read on to see more of what I mean.


Book Review: Awakening by C.B. Stone

 

Awakening (Absence of Song #1)

Awakening by C.B. Stone
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

My first three-star rating and I have to say, I'm giving it reluctantly. I wanted to give this book more stars but it just feels somewhat rushed and unfinished. It could be I wasn't clear on the target audience age range, though. I suppose for younger readers, this might be appropriate. I read some of the other reviews and agree with some that it could've been filled out a little better. When I got to the end, I was quite shocked at the abruptness and the lack of closure.
A couple of the reviews had me wondering whether I should read this book or not. I don't think there was anything wrong with writing about a young girl who wants to do the right thing but lies to her parents. I also think the way the action plays out has potential. I would like to see some consequences for the actions taken by the MC, though. All decisions have consequences, after all.
I think this story would benefit from another revision session or two, possibly being re-released later on down the road. I like the ideas presented and the world the author is building. It definitely shows promise and I hope the author does not give up.
I absolutely love that singing plays a vital role in this story. It is by far my favorite part of this world.
Recommending this book is hard. I think if you are a forgiving person who looks for the beauty in all things, who has the ability to look beyond flaws into the heart of a matter, you could find this book interesting.

View all my reviews

I hope you can now see what I meant at the beginning. The story plot is good enough to keep me interested in what might happen in the next book. I've added books 2 & 3 to my 'want to read' list on Goodreads. Maybe they well fill in the missing pieces for me. It's so nice to find other authors of a similar faith system who are working hard at the same genre. I want to support them as much as I can.


CB Stone is not on Twitter but you can find her on Goodreads by clicking her name in the review above. Her website is linked in her Goodreads profile, as well. If you want to support fantasy authors who are seeking to glorify God in their work and in their lives, then I highly recommend following her on her writing journey and cheering her on.

Comments

Popular Posts