Book Notes: Book Review - 'Birthright' by Jessica Ruddick

I got a chance to read a book I don't think I would've chosen if I'd been shopping in a store. There are so many tales to choose from and my book money is limited. I'm forced to be picky about purchases. I might've read this one at a library had I noticed the cover and read the blurb. (I think most would agree this book has a beautiful cover.) "Birthright" is the first book in the Legacy series written by Jessica Ruddick. Read on to check out my review and give it a try if you think you'll like it.

Book Review: Birthright by Jessica Ruddick


Birthright (Legacy, #1)Birthright by Jessica Ruddick
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book put an interesting spin on the spiritual realm, angels, demons, etc. I liked the action and interaction between the characters and the plot is quite intriguing. I gave it four stars because I liked it, but it's not a book I'd read over and over again. I'm also not sure how I feel about the end of book one. It was certainly not what I expected so...good job, Jessica Ruddick? :) I mean it, though. Good job! I'd like to know how this series ends so I'll be hoping to read the rest of it soon.
My favorite character was Cole's boss. But the MC, supporting characters and villain are fleshed out well. There's enough info on each of them as per their role in the story without the reader losing the ability to fill in the blanks. I like how Ava's gift seems like a thing unknown, certainly unrefined. I look forward to seeing how this grows with her in the rest of her tale.
While the profanity in this book seems mostly spot on and well-fitted to the characters, it's just not my thing. I don't watch many modern TV series, generally preferring those which aired before I was born or was even old enough to realize TV was entertaining. But I am informed of many things through my kids. This story seems to belong to the same genre as Supernatural. If profanity doesn't bother you, and you enjoy stories and film like Supernatural, you should definitely give this book a try.


I did learn something new about book reviews. I should wait a couple of days before writing a review. This one is my longest to date and I think it's because I waited. In all honesty, I wasn't sure how to jot down my thoughts on it. That pause was just what I needed to help me sort them.

Next Wednesday, I'll have another book review for you. And starting April 3, I'll be hosting another Indie Author Review so I hope you'll look forward to that!

Comments

Popular Posts