If 'Over Land & Under Stone' Needed a Cast

Unlike many of my fellow authors who would probably jump at the chance to have their books turned into movies, I sincerely hope there is never a need for me to do that with mine. My world is meant for imagination of the individual, not for interpretation to the masses. If you don't want to read my book and imagine it yourself, then in my opinion, you're losing out.

I feel that way about most books that have been made into movies. LOTR, for instance made for a great film, but as much hard work as they put into it, they still had to cut characters and scenes that enriched the tale in many ways. Those who refuse to read the daunting tome will forever be missing out.

Anyway, here's my cast. You can see it on my Pinterest page, too, but it's not linked.


Protagonists:

  • Zec Inessi - Cole Sprouse (This is a maybe. I've never seen this guy in action and since I hate teen soap operas, I might never get the chance.)
  • Liha Gervell - Evanna Lynch (This is also a maybe. It would depend on how tall she is now and whether or not she could pull off the age change over time or if a suitable look-alike of younger age and similar sounding voice could be found.)
  • Tor Gervell - Brock O'Hurn - I have yet to check this guy out more than just seeing a photo on Pinterest and thinking, "Dang! He looks just like he should!" LOL
  • Zim Haya Ne - Kim Hye-ja - This lady is a Korean actress and I don't think I've seen her in any of the foreign films I've been watching lately. But she looks very close to what I think the Bot'hani shrine guardian should look like. Only her hair would need changing.
  • Bal Shif - Brian Blessed - The part of the garrulous Genzetti shrine guardian has always been played in my head by a person who looked similar to this actor and John Rhys-Davies. I think either of them could play the part perfectly but Brian Blessed will always hold a place in my heart for his role in Flash Gordon years ago.
  • Obys of the Menterria - Keith David - Ever since hearing his voice as Goliath in Gargoyles, I have loved listening to him speak. To find out he sings is a plus... I think maybe I'll write a song for Obys. XD

Antagonists:

(In order of appearance and I hope I don't get stomped for putting really awesome actors into bit parts... :/ )
  • The Hai - Anjelica Huston - She's one of my favorite actresses and while this is a bit part, it needs to be handled with finesse. She could definitely sell it.
  • Poten Jai Nisse - Christian Bale - He could definitely play this role and he's one of my favorite actors. He's got the look, the voice, and the height needed for this role. (But I'll say Jeremy Renner could be a second here because he was definitely considered.)

  • Ka Shi Malaki - Jensen Ackles - He's got that handsome, jerky sort of face that is exactly what this part needs. Plus, he's from my area. How can I not support local talent when I'm able?
  • Ibin Etina - Taylor Momsen - I don't know what she sounds like now, but whether her voice is rougher or smooth, either way would work for this character and her features and piercings are perfect. I wonder what she'd think about portraying a female assassin?

Supporting Cast

  • Zec's Parents, Ren & Nemi Inessi - Pierce Brosnan & Sigourney Weaver - These guys were hard to pick out. Finding an actress who fit the right age and look, while determining whether or not they could find the necessary chemistry, was difficult. I think these two could pull it off, though. And since Zec is adopted, they only need to look similar enough. "Yes, we are related. I'm his uncle."
  • Liha's Parents, Aol & Jema Natro - Ian Zeiring & Kathryn Erbe - There's some age difference between these characters, but it does fit their story. Also, I really wanted to cast Ben Dahlhaus because he's got the look down exactly for Liha's dad. I just didn't know if he only modeled, or if he was an actor, too.
  • The Three Pilgrims, Ili/Tam/Aon - Tom Holland, Asa Butterfield, & Taecyeon - These guys were hard to find. Between age and height, it was a real struggle to find young actors who fit what I was looking for. It didn't help that Ili and Tam are brothers.
  • Two Female Pilgrims, Reza & Mini - Zendaya & Kaia Gerber - I needed to choose tall ladies that could also pull off brawn and confidence/arrogance if necessary. They also needed to meet beauty requirements. They are, I think, the only characters that needed such a requirement besides Liha's dad.
  • Instructor Hyo - Michael Fassbender - He doesn't show up until much later in the book but it's an important part. My oldest daughter helped me with a bunch of the cast and this guy's here because of her. (Jeremy Renner is too, btw...and Cole Sprouse...)
  • The Innkeeper - Joo Hyun - Another Korean actor who simply looks like he should. I think Korean actors are interesting and they certainly put their all into their work.
  • The Dressmaker - Go Hyun-jung - My last Korean actor...for now, at least. She looks like she could play the part well. I don't know how old she is IRL but she's pretty and bright, just as a dressmaker should be.
  • The Prentikari (Apprentices), Jor & Kir -  Liam Hemsworth & Bill Skarsgard - These guys were hard to find, just sayin. They had to meet some pretty nit-picky standards.

Problems I had to overcome...

  1. Height & Build - The Genzetti are tall and well-muscled...even the females, though they are generally shorter than the tallest males. Facial features were less important but some still had to be matched to others. Think MMA, Pro Sports, Pro Dancers, weight lifters, fitness coaches...and you're pretty close to the range of a Genzetti's build.
  2. Age Range - Finding tall teen actors was practically impossible without the resources the acting agencies have. But I think I managed well enough with the help of my daughters. The only one I'm avoiding checking on is Liha's part. I really like Evanna Lynch for the role, perhaps because she was almost a given.
  3. Current info - Type 'young modern actors' into your search engine or the search bar at Pinterest. Go ahead. I dare you. <sigh> Photos of Jack Nicholson,  Johnny Depp, and more from their early acting days popped up.
But overcome, I did and I can now present you with a fairly complete list of the cast of 'Over Land & Under Stone' which I am suitably happy with. If it ever existed IRL, which it won't.

I would imagine that might make the actors happy, though. Seriously, you should never underestimate the power of a bit part. It's the small details done well which really pull a piece of true art together.

Comments

Popular Posts