January 2019 Writing Challenges: #FantasyWIPJanuary Challenge Wrap-Up

This will be my final post concerning this challenge. Read all the way to the bottom to check out the slideshow. I'm pretty happy with the photos I created to go with the prompts for each day.

#FantasyWIPJanuary Final Week and Wrap-Up

Day 22 - Now...they asked why Master Tor is my favorite secondary character. This Genzetti is integrity personified. He's faithful and loyal and he takes his jobs seriously. He's a man of his word. He's been hurt, broken-hearted, knocked down...and still doesn't give up. And because of all this, he's a beautiful person to me.

Here's a couple of photos I didn't include in the slideshow because it would be difficult to link them to the sites where they are from:

I used one of Rinmaru's manga creator games to make this picture. You can find it by
clicking here.

I made this one on Doll Divine. I've linked to both the site, and to the particular game because I'm fairly certain the artist is adamant about credit...as they should be. These games are difficult and time-consuming to put together.This game is called Costume Creator IX and was created by Ammotu. Click on either to visit the game or the creator's home page on Doll Divine.

Day 23 - If you've been following my blog, you'll know Y'Dahnndrya's pretty diverse. Two suns, five moons, six clans, a race of beings from Y'Dahnndryan mythos, two basic religions [so far] with one of them having one creator deity and six different interpretations; the other having a pantheon. There are also lots of imaginary plants and animals. If that's not diverse enough for you, then I guess you might be dissatisfied with my answer. LOL

Day 24 - I couldn't nail it down to one all-time-favorite book, so I created a nifty header photo and listed three of my favorites in different genres:
  • Fantasy - "Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien - It's not a book I've read over and over again, but the sheer literary magnificence of this book, his meticulous method in putting it together, far outweigh so many others. It's truly a work of literary art.
  • Romance - "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" by Elizabeth George Speare - I've read this one several times since my mom purchased it for me long ago. I think it's Kit's struggle to fit in that I can relate to.
  • Bonus: drama - "Paradise Lane" by William Taylor - I've read this one so many times, the cover is in tatters. It still brings me to tears when I read it.
Day 25 - This prompt asked whether we prefered pirates or cowboys. If you'd asked me a few years ago, I'd have said pirates loud and clear. But after far too many cheesy movies, I've lost my respect for the storybook pirate. So for now, I'm saying cowboys. I like their work ethic and their general moral code in real life. I like people I can count on.

I can't think of a character who personifies what I perceive as the ultimate cowboy more than The Rifleman. My second favorite actor who portrays cowboys most often  is probably Sam Elliot. I haven't seen all the films in which he stars but the ones I've seen, I really enjoyed the characters he portrayed.

Day 26 - It's not super strange but it's really the only thing besides mythical beasts and major disasters of the US that I've researched for this particular WIP. I took the time to research geology a little bit, learning more about the different types of rock and minerals (which I already have an interest in...I once wanted to be a volcanologist). Where the Tanderali Genzet are concerned, the family names are derived from the names of rocks and minerals. Some are pretty obvious. Others, not so much. I also used the same method to name the towns and cities of Genzet. So I guess what I researched isn't as strange as the purpose for which I used the information.

One thing I did do some intensive research on was geothermal heating and how that was applied to keeping houses warm. I wanted to create some type of advanced system for the Drositiri Genzet who live underground in mountains and caverns. They would need some form of ventilation and heating, or at least air circulation.  I realize caves don't fluctuate too much in temperature but for someone like me, I can't stand the thought of them being cold with no proper way to warm up. LOL

Day 27 - I struggled and stressed over what to put here. Then I remembered something. I've been posting sneak-peeks for the last couple of weeks. To give any more away would be awful, especially for those who've taken the time to sign up for and read my newsletter. Speaking of which, I think I missed January but there will be a February newsletter. So if you haven't signed up and you love what I do and want to know more, then you can do that now by scrolling to the bottom of any page on my website.

Day 28 - I think my proudest moment in writing this month actually happened while I was taking a break and watching a TV show with my family. I think I've figured out how to fill a gaping plot hole toward the end of book two [three]. I'm super happy about it! ...If it works...

Day 29 - My favorite genre has always been fantasy followed closely by sweet romance with a decent plot. I like books that take me away from mundanity and into otherworldly realms. Show me something I haven't seen yet and something I can't even have a chance to because it only exists in your mind.

As for the sweet romance, I prefer characters who have a strong sense of honor and morality and a great deal of self-control. I am not an animal, no matter how many people would like me to believe that, and I hold myself to a higher standard than my baser human nature. Do I always succeed? Nope. Sadly. But I always strive for that.

The photos below shows some of my favorites in those two genres.

Day 30 - Gosh! Unhappy endings happen often enough in my real life experience that when I trip over one at the end of a book, I feel so angry and annoyed. Like, "Why did you waste my time?" I know some people enjoy reading a book that is more "real life" but I read for the sake of being transported to more fantastical times and places. Yes, bad things should happen because life isn't always happy. But I don't think that means a book should have to end on a sad note.

Bittersweet is OK with me, like the ending of Mockingjay. That book pulled at my heartstrings all the way through and I really enjoyed it. But at the end, you get to catch your breath. You get to breathe again. And yes, the fight was worth the effort it took to get to that freedom. Please, please, please! Do not give me a book with a sad ending that has no hope attached to it.

Day 31 - It's done! And I'm happy to say this challenge helped me iron out some character ideas and share some of my favorite items in OLUS. I think it's just nice that I managed to keep going every day right up to the end. I guess the most important /focused/ thing I did was to get my chapters and scenes in order. I will never again be a complete pantser for Nanowrimo.

And now for the slideshow!


Comments

Popular Posts