Meet the Clans - Part 6: Bot'ha

The final clan I would like to introduce you to is the Bot’ha Clan. I’ve been working non-stop on Ripples, adding all the finishing touches to my manuscript, staying up late. Please forgive me for taking so long to finish the introductions.


The Bot'ha Clan

  • Name: Bot’ha
  • Pronunciation: (BOAT hah)
  • How They Interpret Their Name: To Cleanse and Purify
  • Clan Color: Yellow
  • Clan Symbol: Amella Flower
  • Location on the Map: The southern portion of the continent of Emidar (EH mee dar).
  • Terrain Type: Fertile plains/grasslands, marshes, low hills, forests
  • Language: Othwa (OHTH wa) (voice ‘th’ as in ‘than’)
  • Naming: Bot’hani have three names and are called by the last two formally. The first part of their names denotes their family. The second name is used singly by loved ones and close friends.
  • Type of Government: There’s a system of nobility in Bot’ha but there’s also a parliament made up of peer-elected representatives from each social group.
  • Current Person In Charge: ??? They have a king-like figure in charge but I don’t know that person’s name yet, nor their gender.
  • Capital: Jin’Glaou (JEEN glow) (‘aou’ says ‘ow’ as in ‘ouch’)
  • General Conduct: They are extremely protective of their social positions. The more wealthy are friendly to those with less, but there are little things they do which show the differences in position are quite apparent. And the less wealthy don’t really trust those in higher social positions. As a result, the most social unrest can be found in Bot’ha. They value outer beauty and wealth.
  • Tolerance Level: They are generally pleasant, but can be condescending to out-clanners. They welcome visitors because it means an increase in trade.
  • Religion: ??? I haven’t written anything about their religious practices yet.
  • Shrine and Current Guardian: The Bot’ha shrine is Si Yinte Falls. It’s located in a circular crater and surrounded by waterfalls. As a result, there are many rivers, streams, and pools around it watering the beautiful gardens tended by Zim Haya Ne, the current Guardian. Her home is a strange mix of Asian, medieval German architecture.
  • Clothing Style: Bot’hani keep all skin covered and disguised. All of them. Both men and women wear long tunics. Men wear trousers under theirs all the time, while women may or may not. They do not cover their heads as a rule, but some who are more devout may choose to do so.
  • Special Food and Drink: Geshiju is a mildly sweet breakfast pudding made with berries and cream and topped with crispy grain crumbles. I haven’t written any more about their foods yet.
  • Exports: Dried flowers, herbs, and spices; fine fabrics; grain crops; woodworking articles, accessories, and artifacts
For the naming of Bot'ha citizens, cities and landmarks, I came up with them on my own without searching through name generators or Google translate. I love the sound of Asian syllables, but I have no clue if I'm using some spelling/pronunciation that may be offensive in real life. After deciding on the names, if they look like something I've seen before, I research it. Otherwise, I don't. I hope you will forgive me when you hear that in my head, those syllables most often mean something proud, hopeful, admirable, or some other honorable quality.  Consider, too, that we all have access to the same range of syllables and they mean something different in each culture. I'm applying that principle here.

Comments

Popular Posts