Bonus Writing Challenge: BA Writing Life

I accepted a week-long challenge that I'll also start sharing with you today.  The #BAWritersLife Challenge is hosted by @authorbethanyatazadeh on IG. If you don't follow her yet, you should definitely do so.


Day 1 - Introduce Yourself - I decided to do a '10 Things About Me' introduction for this one. And the photo I posted is from a while back. I look like a young college student in most of the edits but I really liked creating them. It was fun. Just add a few wrinkles between my eyebrows and you'll have a pretty good idea of what I look like now. :D
1. My pseudonym is taken from names in my family - Robin McElveen.
2. I'm a stay-at-home mom of three (One's on his own and married now.) and a homeschool parent.
3. I started writing during Nanowrimo 2016. All my books take place in a fictional world, though each book is a stand-alone -- for now. My first novel is published on Wattpad. The second is a rough draft which I'm working on as I can. My third novel is currently my Camp Nano project.
4. I write in the fantasy genre (YA). I finally narrowed it down to that genre after a lot of personal debate.
5. I live in an area of Louisiana that's like a black hole, technologically speaking. It's beautiful otherwise, and offers great scope for the imagination. Our current weather conditions seem to be Winter Weekends and Spring Weekdays.
6. My favorite writing music is almost anything instrumental. I play the piano but I don't like listening to piano music while I write. Oh, and you can keep the saxophone to yourself unless it's jazz or big band we're listening to -- or The Choir. For some reason, the saxophone really works for them. XD
7. Some of my favorite bands: The 77's, The Choir, Project 86, Adam Again, Yes
8. Person I admire most: My maternal grandmother (though all four of my grandparents were pretty awesome people)
9. Pet peeves: Lying and empty music (by which I mean music with shallow or lame lyrics which teach nothing and encourage nothing but negative things)
10. I've been married to the same awesome man for 24 years. I have to thank @jdkittlesdigital for his love and support for every journey I've taken and for sticking with me, even when he wasn't sure about anything.

Day 2 - Writing Space - This is my little corner of the room, my work space. It's also in my favorite room in the house. The only thing I'd like to change is the lighting. I want to paint the walls. And I don't want to paint the walls. <sigh>

Day 3 - My WIP - My current WIP is 'Surge' and is a YA Fantasy Fiction novel set in the world of Y'Dahnndrya. All my fiction novels (so far) take place in this universe. I started with the idea of writing in 3rd Person Omniscent POV. It looks like I'm going to end up in 3rd Person Multiple POV...the most difficult to keep track of, I think. (This seems like my lot in life. LOL)
Ya'el Shirasdatir is the main character. She's training to become the new Guardian of Yacan, Serafin.
Kol Udota plays an important role as her Iteiki (teacher), and also might be a love interest. (Only time will tell.)
Edrea is the last of her kind (the Terreilia - the sentient trees). She's also the co-guardian of Yacan. If Ya'el doesn't assume her role as Serafin at the time of the lunar conjunction, if she fails the Greift (joining with Edrea), then Edrea will die and Yacan will fall.
I'm not so good at summarizing my stories. I don't really like doing that, so I guess that's the reason. It's a good thing most of these challenges have at least one opportunity to give a short synopsis, 3-sentence synopsis, etc. of your story. All this practice is only making me a stronger writer.

Day 4 - Favorite Writing Quote - This is a perfect example of leaving things 'til the last minute and then getting them wrong in so many weird ways that you just kinda have to laugh because the alternative is to curl up in a ball in the corner of a dark room and grow mushrooms on your head. I felt a run-on sentence would best illustrate the madness. ;) Not only did I label the day incorrectly, I also pasted the wrong tag at the bottom. *sigh*

Day 5 - Favorite Books/Genre - These are only some of my favorites. They were the ones I could easily grab off my shelf. The Demon Prince of Momochi House Vol. 11 is a new acquisition and once again, I wait impatiently for volume 12 to be released. This is actually the first set of manga I allowed myself to purchase. Manga is like tattoos and Lays Chips -- you can't have just one.

Day 6 - Why I Write - I write for my family. I think it's important to leave a positive legacy behind when I'm finally gone. So my goal is to write in such a way that I can be proud of what I do, my family can be proud of what I do, and -- most importantly -- the God I serve can be pleased with what I do.

Day 7 - My Writing Friends - I'm now blessed with so many writing friends, it's impossible to add them all into one post. But these are the ones who've actually gone above and beyond in some way, or stood out for other reasons. If you're on Instagram, definitely look them up and follow them. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

And now for the slideshow!


Comments

Popular Posts