The Book I Am Planning Challenge March 2018

And the last Instagram challenge I'm undertaking in March is The Book I Am Writing challenge hosted by @elliejgreyauthor. This one's going to be a huge help because of the questions concerning both the plot and how the character fits into it.
This challenge is supposed to be focused on my Camp NaNo novel and the working title is "Surge." (3/1/2018)

Day 6: Main Conflict - I was a little late with this challenge. I didn't get to post it until this morning. And this main conflict may change as the story dynamics flow but this is how I see it right now. (3/7/2018)

Day 7: Antagonists are so hard for me to write. This will be the challenge area during Camp Nano. I have a good picture of them in my head but coming up with ways for them to be nasty and awful, that's the kicker. I can think of a ton but coming up with the why of each can be quite difficult. (3/8/2018)

Day 8: I really can't wait to see how my main characters interact with and respond to each other. Will they struggle to work well together or will things just go smoothly as they join forces against an antagonist or two? Will they simply be friends or something more? I really don't know how it will end up and that's the exciting part for me. (3/9/2018)

Day 9: This one requires a bit of explanation. Lots of things have inspired things in this story. Dryads, mermaids, beast-people, myths, legends, treehouses, jungles, swamps, angels/demons, trees, Tolkien, Lewis, tribal life, flower lamps, waterlilies, and more. But you can only add so many things to an inspiration board. (3/11/2018)

Day 11: This was a little more challenging than the other ones. I hadn't really heard much about the word 'tropes' so I had to do some digging. At that point, I did an, "Ah! I see!" thing and scanned down a helpful list. I chose imagery because it's usually what keeps me hooked in a good book. If I can place myself in the scene, it feels more real to me. And if I can master this trope, I'll be one happy writer. (3/12/2018)

Day 12 - Red Herring - No matter how many times I hear this, I still have to look it up. It's like my brain refuses to remember what it means. Kind of appropriate, I guess. :D In Surge, I could only think of two obvious red herrings. If I say too much about it, though, it will spoil some of the story. And it's not even written yet!

Day 13 - Foreshadowing - In my planning, I haven't thought to deliberately add foreshadowing. There will definitely be flashbacks, though. For those who read my first novel, it would be redundant for me to rehash all the things that lead up to the heroine getting where she ends up. Also, that's where the story truly begins so I don't want to take too much time getting there. (3/14/2018)

Day 21: This was a bit more challenging. Ya'el is a strong-minded individual. It would take a lot to break her. I'm really not sure what would break Kol. He went through a lot in his young life and still managed to make it pretty far. I think I'll find out more as I write. (3/22/2018)

Day 24: I wasn't sure exactly how the creator of the challenge meant this, so I just gave a brief history of the main character I knew most and a little about the other MC who I don't know so well, yet.
Day 25: I have several characters so I'll give the run-down in a list format for ease and speed.
  • Ya'el -- her drive to learn and excel
  • Kol -- his need for approval
  • Serafin/Edrea -- their love for the Creator and Y'Dahnndrya
  • Outh'n -- his need to be loved
  • Eiva -- pride
In my Instagram post about this, I mentioned there's probably enough info just in their motivations to write two or three books. It may actually turn into that. I think it'd be pretty cool if it did. I already have a long list of titles. (3/27/2018)

On with the slideshow! I hope you enjoy it. :)



Comments

Popular Posts