Using Affirmations & Positivity in Hard Times

I went through a terrible couple of years when we moved back to Louisiana from our last military station in Texas. I've always had a terrible time adjusting to change and this time was no different. I think it might've been worse. My old friends had moved on with their lives and gained new friends. I couldn't seem to find my footing in any of the churches we tried attending. And on top of all of that, my marriage was on shaky ground. These kinds of experiences can't really be avoided. Everyone suffers, after all. And for an author, even the terrible times aren't wasted.

When you hit rock bottom, there's only one way to go. But I had to make the decision to climb up those daunting steps to get there. I buried myself in my misery for a while, thinking I was the only one struggling. But I wasn't and the choices I made then were almost the end of the best thing that ever happened to me. When I realized it, I gripped the first step with my fingers and clawed my way up. Today, I'll share my affirmations with you. Maybe it will spur you to create your own list of encouragement.

17 Positive Affirmations That Helped Me
Just making these statements, writing them down, and speaking them aloud went a long way toward healing my hurts.
  1. Moving forward with purpose - (Thank you Sherrilyn Kenyon!)
  2. Thinking of and living in today.
  3. Looking back at the past only to learn from it, not for the purpose of dwelling there or wallowing in regret.
  4. I won't live my life in fear of what may be because the future isn't set in stone.
  5. I will live my life one day at a time, thinking only of how I can make the 'now' better. Better for me. Better for the people I love. Better for the people around me.
  6. I will not forget to let my family know they are just as loved as the friends who come visit. Just as needed. Just as important. More important. More needed. More loved.
  7. I will not stress over how to do this. I will simply do my best and keep on keeping on.
  8. I will not quit.
  9. I will not give up.
  10. All these things will make me a better person regardless of what the future holds in store.
  11. I can do all things through HIM who gives me strength. (Phil. 4:13 NIV Bible)
  12. My Savior and Lord is my strength.
  13. I will step out in faith, knowing that He is working a good work in me that will benefit all those around me.
  14. I am determined.
  15. I am not to be pitied because I'm not pitiful and I will not behave in such a manner.
  16. I am blessed.
  17. I. Will. Succeed.
You'll notice my list started out with phrases. As I started writing them down, I warmed to the activity. By the end of the list, I felt like Kyle McLachlan's character protrayal of Paul Atreides in the 80's movie "Dune". I have to say the way he fired up the Arakeens was pretty moving and is one of my favorite movie scenes.

We all hit rock bottom. We all have periods of suffering. To the authors out there, I would say USE THEM. I've always heard it said, "Write what you know." Hard times are something that I know about. What do you use to inspire you and push you on to level up in your writing?

Taken from the Complete Jewish Bible by David H. Stern. Copyright © 1998. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Messianic Jewish Publishers, 6120 Day Long Lane, Clarksville, MD 21029. www.messianicjewish.net.
Taken from the Complete Jewish Bible by David H. Stern. Copyright © 1998. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Messianic Jewish Publishers, 6120 Day Long Lane, Clarksville, MD 21029. www.messianicjewish.net.

Note: This post was originally created on May 19, 2017 and has been updated.

Comments

Popular Posts