Every Day Means New Lessons

As a fresh indie author, there are many things I need to learn. I'm often overwhelmed by the sheer amount of information available online for people like me. How do I sift through all of it to find the bits of gold among the dross? I'm still working on that.

I knew I needed a logo. I like antiques, ancient history, and good old-fashioned courtesy. A vintage design seemed the best fit for me. So I asked my husband, who is pretty handy with Photoshop, to create a logo for me. Since he started working, though, he hasn't really had the time. I decided to try my hand at creating the logo myself using Gimp. The result was a success and you can see it proudly displayed on my blog today.

I'm trying so many new things. I created the book cover for my first novel, "Ripples", getting help from lots of online resources. I'm currently working on a 2018 calendar using quotes from my book, as well as a cover for my second novel which will be ready sometime toward the end of next year.

I read on several sites that it's possible to do all the publishing, marketing, creative extras, etc. on your own. It does save a good bit of money. But it's so time consuming! I definitely recommend paying someone to do at least some of the extras if you can. I don't feel I have any other option right now but that may change in the future. I'm not sorry I'm learning these things. I'm only sorry that it takes so much time away from actual writing. For now, I will enjoy The Now.

I wanted to share a tidbit from "Ripples" with you today. It seems a most appropriate quote considering the type of work I've been doing and the way I've been doing it. I hope it inspires you to plunge into the creative process and try something new.


Comments

Popular Posts