Book Notes: September 27, 2023 - Nonfiction Notables

 Welcome to the scenic route! I've got a couple of awesome books to share with you, as well as a word prompt. I'm sorry I wasn't able to post yesterday as planned. I was all kinds of scattered and forgot to do several things. I made a to-do list today. Things should go a little smoother. ...I hope. 

Book Review: Virtuous by Nancy Wilson

Virtuous: A Study for Ladies of Every AgeVirtuous: A Study for Ladies of Every Age by Nancy Wilson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've been reading this with a wonderful group of ladies. It's full of scripture references, which we all were quite happy about. We study a chapter together about twice a month. I decided to finish reading it through, so I might be able to think on each of the topics a little more before we do so as a group.
I loved the virtues she chose to focus on in this book. There were many times I had to stop and consider what I needed to do differently to be more in line with God's Word. Virtue, specifically godly virtue, is usually held in contempt, so it's not something one would hear about often. I'm really glad Nancy Wilson put this study together. It's badly needed in our church women's groups today.

View all my reviews


Book Review: The Covenant Household by Douglas Wilson


The Covenant HouseholdThe Covenant Household by Douglas Wilson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I found this book enlightening. The author definitely stepped on my toes, but I'm glad. The points brought out in the text were things that I'd heard, some many times, but not in this particular way. It just made sense to me and finally some of the things I read in the Bible are lining up as they should. Some of the things happening in our family are making more sense now. If you're a young couple, just starting out, and wishing to live the Christian life, and wanting to be sure the way you do things lines up with God's Word, I highly recommend this book.

View all my reviews

Both of these books would be super helpful to the Christian woman seeking to be more obedient to God's Word. They certainly made me think, really think, about how I was doing things and whether I'd been doing them correctly up to the present. I highly recommend them.


Just Keep Writing: Wednesday Whimsy

If this is your first time participating in this kind of writing exercise, you're in for a treat. If you've done this with me before, just keep scrolling for the prompt.

Rules:

  1. You can use any/all of the words and/or the photo in the prompt below to create a unique written work. Fiction or nonfiction, poetry or prose, even lyrics are acceptable.  
  2. Please keep the material you write clean (i.e. nothing R-rated or worse) if you wish to share the link to your work here, as well as if you link back to my site. I strive to keep my site free of such things. My readers know and expect this. I respect your right to write whatever you feel you need to write. And you're free to use my prompts. But if your material is graphic, I'd rather not view it, and most of my readers will not wish to. 
  3. Have fun! This type of exercise is perfect for growing in the writing craft, or for helping through a rough patch in your current WIP. If you're looking to push your author limits and you normally write in nonfiction prose, try a whimsical collection of lyrics. If you normally write poems about real life events, try your hand at a fanfic. Give yourself some room to explore.

Don't forget to leave a link to your creation (unless you're writing graphic material) so my readers and I can check out your work. I'd appreciate a link back to this post to help me reach more readers, but it's not required. 


What do you think about this set of random words? I can definitely see several possibilities for stories. 

Thanks so much for sharing some of your time with me on the scenic route. I hope you enjoyed today's post and found it useful. Let me know what you think in the comments. 

Tomorrow, I'll have another creative prompt ready for you. Please visit again and bring your creative friends along. 

Until next time,
Turn the page...


Comments

Popular Posts