Author Journey: September 15, 2023 - What a Wild Ride is Life!

 Greetings from the scenic route! I'm so glad you made it today. I've got a video and some pictures of Spartacus to share with you today. There's a word prompt for those needing a little inspiration to get projects going. And I'm sharing another chapter from my current WIP. What are we waiting for? Let's go!


Author Journey: Not Much Writing, But...

There's not much going on right now. But I do have a goal I'd like to meet by the end of this month. I want to try to nail down the cover art for Over Land & Under Stone since I'll try to work on that some more come November. 

I also want to start working on the book trailer for Surge. I haven't given it much thought but I really need to start. I don't know that book trailers are such a great tool, but they're fun to put together. 

I'm still planning to narrate my books for audio, but I need certain equipment for that. A friend of our made me a generous offer to loan me some equipment, but I'll need to learn how it all works and iron out any kinks in the wiring... both mine and the equipment's. 😆

I need to get back into the social media scene, but I want to be very careful with how I do so. It's so easy for that to eat away valuable time and I'm not sure I'll be able to balance it well enough. We'll see. For now, I'm starting with a focus on Litsy, a social media for book lovers. Granted, the posts are all about what you're reading, have read, or want to read, but I would be able to let people know if I was reading my own work, so that's a plus. Could be a way to reach more readers... If you have an iPhone and want to check it out, just click here to view my somewhat bare profile or on the app name above. (You can post from your computer but it's really made for the iPhone.)

Yes, I switched. I'm happy with the switch so far, but one thing I truly hate is the keyboard. I'm already slow when I text but learning a new keyboard is blech. Otherwise, I'm not having any trouble getting used to how the general functions work. I confess I was kinda worried about that. I'm hoping the phone will add to my productivity, but we'll see. There may be a Mac computer in my future at some point, but those are pricey. There are good reasons, of course, but it's going to have to fit my budget. And I'm looking at pro packages, which adds to the cost. 

This post is getting leggy. Let me move on.


Writer's Life: Healthy, Wealthy, Wise

Let me start by saying my mom is growing stronger, little by little. I'm thankful for all the positive things I learned from others online who really stressed the importance of being grateful for the little things. That's helped a lot, not only for me, but as I encourage my parents to do the same. It's been two months since she started with whatever knocked her down. We still have a couple of tests to run and then we can have a better picture of what will help her heal completely. Please continue to pray for her and my dad.

You might be wondering about that title. We're not financially wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. And I'm not exaggerating here. Y'all know I talk about budgeting all the time, and we still struggle to make ends meet sometimes. But we are blessed with a wealth of good family and friends who have rallied behind us during this health struggle with my mom. They've visited, prayed, offered to cook, and more. There's no more precious treasure than loved ones standing beside you -- people you are able to support and encourage and who are willing to reciprocate. I hope you have people like that in your life. 

As to the wise bit, it's a joy (and sometimes a terror) when your kids become adults and you watch them take on more and more of their own responsibilities. In some circumstances, you watch and know they're thinking on a decision that'll cause them pain. You pray and hope they come around before it comes to that. In other cases, you watch and cheer because the choice they're making is right, lining up with God's Word and bringing forth some good fruit. But in either case, the kid you raised is going to gain some wisdom. Our daughters have been working through some rough things lately. Please keep them in your prayers. 

And now it's time for a little dose of...

My husband took these photos and I edited them.
He also caught the video below.

One of his favorite hiding places is on the chairs at the kitchen table. We mostly use the table as a catch-all (which I hate, but...sigh). If he's not fighting with the plastic overlay, which did nothing to him, I might add, he's swiping out at your legs as you pass by. He's a hoot! In the picture above, he's actually watching our oldest daughter as she's trying to relay a story. 


I hope you enjoy the really short video, but that's about all we can manage to catch. He likes to stalk and hide, then jump out at whatever he's stalking. He'll still bat around his springs and mice, but he prefers playing with the ribbons we wave at him. I think it's because he'd rather be with us. He's a sweet cat. 


Just Keep Writing: Friday Fascicles

If this is your first time participating in this kind of writing exercise, you're in for a treat. If you've done this with me before, just keep scrolling for the prompt.

Rules:

  1. You can use any/all of the words and/or the photo in the prompt below to create a unique written work. Fiction or nonfiction, poetry or prose, even lyrics are acceptable.  
  2. Please keep the material you write clean (i.e. nothing R-rated or worse) if you wish to share the link to your work here, as well as if you link back to my site. I strive to keep my site free of such things. My readers know and expect this. I respect your right to write whatever you feel you need to write. And you're free to use my prompts. But if your material is graphic, I'd rather not view it, and most of my readers will not wish to. 
  3. Have fun! This type of exercise is perfect for growing in the writing craft, or for helping through a rough patch in your current WIP. If you're looking to push your author limits and you normally write in nonfiction prose, try a whimsical collection of lyrics. If you normally write poems about real life events, try your hand at a fanfic. Give yourself some room to explore.

Don't forget to leave a link to your creation (unless you're writing graphic material) so my readers and I can check out your work. I'd appreciate a link back to this post to help me reach more readers, but it's not required. 


I hope you have fun with this set of words. They look promising to me. 


Story Snippets: Surge (Children of Y'Dahnndrya, book 2) by Robin McElveen

Please keep in mind this is not a finished work, but is in progress. There are likely mistakes in grammar peppered throughout the pieces I'm sharing this month and next. But I hope you'll get an idea of what this book is going to be like. If you like what you're reading, I hope you'll be kind in spreading the word. 

Chapter 4

Waiting and Following

“When we get in there, don't say anything unless you’re directly approached." The Ammyr's command was unmistakable. 

"Yes, Ammyr Kol." She couldn't help the grin that spread over her face. He couldn't see her anyway so it shouldn't matter. She wondered how long it would take to annoy him with his own title and break down his formality.

"Do I have to say it again?" Ya'el's eyes snapped back to the shadowy giant stalking ahead of her. "Wipe that grin off your face and pay attention to your surroundings. This is serious business."

"Where are we going?" She ignored him even as annoyance warred with amazement that he knew of her disobedience without glancing back at her. It didn't mean she would change her mind about smiling when she felt like it, though.

"I’m taking you to meet with the Serafin."

"The Serafin?" Ya'el’s smile disappeared. "Isn't her name Serafin?"

The only reply was a mirthless chuckle which didn't answer her question. Ya'el was left to ponder the growing number of mysteries surrounding Yacan. She couldn't have imagined such a place existed, that a place which was only supposed to house one person actually held so much more. If Edrea was a single tree, she was more amazing than Ya'el or the most imaginative person she knew ever could've dreamed. Oh, how she wanted to stop and study this marvelous phenomenon! But the shadow plowing onward down the path gave her little choice to do anything but follow.

A sudden pricking in her soles recalled her attention to the task at hand but not before she slipped for the fourth time. Arms flailing, she uttered a strangled cry. Before it grew to a fully fledged scream, the Ammyr snagged her arm within a crushing grip and hauled her roughly back onto the branch-path. She collapsed, gasping.

"This is not the place for mind wandering," Kol snapped. "How many times will you need a reminder to pay attention? We're almost there."

Ya'el tried to force back the ire which rose at his obvious disappointment. She did try. "Well, all the apologies I have are at your disposal," she grumbled. Standing quickly was a mistake, resulting in a mad but successful dance to regain her balance. When she looked up it was to see a smirk on Kol's face. Incensed beyond caring, she rushed him determined to make him sorry for being so rude and uncaring. He burst out laughing and neatly thwarted her attack by twisting out of her way at the last minute. He grabbed first one arm, then the other, and pinned them at her sides long enough to tuck her bodily under one of his own. In less than a heartbeat, he'd utterly defeated her. Her temper flared again at the embarrassment and humiliation.

"Let go of me!" Ya'el shrilled, kicking and swinging her head. But her arms were locked in place by that one massive stone-like arm. He carried her the rest of the way like a sack of market goods. Helplessness was not a soothing tonic. If he set her on a pile of dried leaves, she feared they’d ignite. 

"We're here," he rumbled. "How would you like to enter this place? The choice is yours." He chuckled.

Ya'el debated quickly. If she chose stubborn silence, he'd likely carry her in like this. Snapping at him like before would likely cause the same result. She tried answering docilely. 

"Let me down. Please. I would use my own two feet." The words were chipped out of ice, but she managed to keep them quiet and measured.

He slowly and carefully set her down in front of a set of beautiful wood-plank doors. Metal-worked pulls and hinges that had to come from Genzet were the only decoration, intricate filligree darkened with age. The windows on either side were woven lattices crafted of living branches. Ya'el reached out to touch them and Kol thumped her wrist. She hugged it to her, rubbing it to stop the painful stinging.

"Don't touch." When she glared up at him, he chuckled. "It's no use looking at me that way. I don't care how annoyed or angry you are. You don't get to touch anything until Edrea says you may. Remember how you got here in the first place?"

She did and it gave her pause. She thought she'd chosen that method of arrival. Ya'el shrugged and crossed her arms over her chest. "Now what?"

"Now we wait to be summoned."

"Wait? You hurried me here so I could wait?" When the giant smirked in answer, an idea popped into her mind. "Alright. I can wait." She looked around and spotted what looked like a bench made of vines. "Can I wait there?" At his nod, she pranced toward it and plopped onto the farther side of the bench.

"Come sit with me," she invited with a smile. She patted the other side of the bench twice.

*****

Kol hesitated, uncertain what to make of this sudden change. He’d seen many things in his time as a guard and defender but Ya’el Shirasdatir was different. Skeptical, he shook his head and stood at military rest. “I can hear you fine from here if you need something.”

“Oh, come on! I just want to talk to pass the time.” He stood his ground. “Fine, then. I offer the hand of truce only to have it pushed away. Just remember you chose that.”

“You assume too quickly,” he snorted in reply. “Don’t assume you know how things work here. Because let me tell you, daughter of a high priestess, you don’t know anything.”

“Oh, really?” Ya’el smiled broadly. “Please tell me more about what I don’t know.” She crossed her legs at the knees, set her elbow on top and propped her chin in the upturned fist. 

Before he could respond, the wooden doors creaked open and the tall, muscular form of the Serafin strode out. Her long black hair draped over her shoulders and down her back in braids. The dappled sunslight made it shine and sparked off the silver streaks. Her pale blue eyes flashed with cold flames of irritation.

Kol fell to one knee, both fists to the ground. “Serafin, you honor us!”

“Rise, Ammyr. You do not have to stand on formality with me.”

“Yes, Serafin.” Kol rose to stand at attention, regardless of her words. After all, she did call him by his title.

“Where is your charge?”

Kol spun around expecting to see Ya’el on the bench. Neither she nor the bench she’d been perched on could be found. He spun and scanned the area searching for the telltale sign of her red-gold hair and pale wrap. Both should stand out against the forested glory of Yacan. A corner of the fabric fluttered behind a large trunk near the place the bench had been. He had her in three strides and tucked her back under his arm for safe-keeping. Instead of squirming this time, she fumed and dug her nails into his arm. 

He growled at her and bared his fangs. “If you didn’t want to be treated like a wayward youngling, you should’ve stayed put.”

“Who treats a child like a bag of vegetables?” she snapped back, green eyes flashing fire. He had to give her points for bravery. He shook his head and stalked back to the doorway. When they returned to the Serafin, he dropped her at the woman’s boot-clad feet. 

“Welcome to Yacan, Ya’el Shirasdatir,” the woman purred. “I hope you are here because you want to be. If not, your task will be all the more difficult.”

“I am,” the younger woman grumbled, still glaring up at Kol. From her seated position on the ground, it was even more ineffectual than the last time she did so. She sighed and stood. Bowing before the Serafin, she apologized. “Please forgive me, Serafin, for my,” she paused searching for the right word, “strange entrance.”

The woman nodded. “Follow me.”

“More following?” 

Kol glared at the insolent question from the young maiden. She shrugged and cocked her head to one side.

“Yes,” The Serafin halted and spun on her heel to face his charge. “You will be doing quite a lot of following from now on. Get used to it.”

“Yes, Honored Guardian.” This time, her tone was more meek. Kol shook his head.

Ya’el stayed close as the Serafin led the way into a dimly lit room. A pointed arch framed steps which disappeared into shadowed depths. She shuddered and wrapped her arms tight at her waist. When the Guardian headed for the stairs, she balked. “Um, I’ll just stay here, if that’s alright. I can’t see very well. I really don’t think it’s a good idea to walk on dark stairs.” She backed toward the door, apparently forgetting he was behind her.

“Are you afraid of the dark?” he asked, smirking.

“What would a Genzetti who lives in the dark know about it, eiya?” Ya’el snapped.

“I am of Yacan now and you would do well to remember that,” he bent down to growl in her ear. “And there’s something else I will share with you, M’Neshunnayan pirin. Do you know of the Drositiri?” She shook her head. “ I was raised above ground. I’ve known the fear of entering a cave for the first time. Known it — and conquered it. Can you do that? Or do you love your fears more than the thought of freedom and victory?”

Ya’el flushed, though none but he could see it, and shoved herself away from him and toward the stairs. “I. Am. Not. Afraid.” She marched toward the stairs. 

Kol chuckled and it spurred her on even more. So she was only brave when pressed? What an adventure training the serafin’an would be! He shook himself, wondering at his own thoughts. The disturbance in his normal routine still upset him.

At the opening, Ya’el hesitated once more and called out, “Serafin?”

“Yes,” came the faint reply. “Hurry up!”

“Well?” Kol’s sudden question behind her made her jump and she would’ve tumbled down the stairs had he not caught her once again. “You have an affinity for falling, it seems.” 

Kol allowed her to shake off his hold and Ya’el stalked down the staircase as fast as she dared. 

“I wouldn’t be falling so often if I knew this place,” she quipped over her shoulder. 

A less observant person would have missed how her shoulders relaxed and her step lightened. In no time, she reached the bottom of the stairs with him only several steps behind. A dimly lit, arched doorway opened before them. They stepped through entering a tiny alcove. Across from them, the far wall boasted a tunnel. On their left was an artwork of the sea which moved in a way no one had ever explained to him. Golden bowls and an opin’e flask that seemed to glow with a light all its own sat on a table to her right. She gasped in delight and unwittingly reached out a hand toward it. His reprimand was swift.

“Don’t touch,” Kol reminded her starkly when she gasped in dismay, as if she hadn’t expected the light tap on her wrist.

The Serafin was not in the alcove. Ya’el looked everywhere but at him as she asked, “Where do we go from here?”

“Forward, of course.” He couldn’t help his curt reply. Did she really have to ask? There was only one door.

“Through there?” The fearful squeak in her tone pulled his lips into a crooked grin.

“Yes,” he chuckled. “You don’t have to fear. I will be nearby.” He added a slight sneer in his voice to goad her on toward the thing she seemed to fear most. Sure enough, she rushed headlong into the darker tunnel. As she stepped one foot in, soft lights flickered on, leading her down the pathway. Ya’el started in surprise and almost skipped her way to the end of it. Suddenly, the flower-lights flickered and closed up, shutting their light away. They stopped. As silence and darkness enveloped them, she whimpered. He reached for her shoulder to remind her of his presence and she loosed a shriek that rivaled the karyna of Genzet. It ripped down the pathway and Kol snarled in pain. 

“Ya’el, stop it!” He felt for her mouth and clamped a hand over it wrapping his other arm around both of hers. He pulled her back to control the flailing limbs. “Now hush.” He spoke quietly near her ear, doing his best to soothe. “I need my ears to do my job well. You are not alone. She relaxed a bit and he loosened the arm he’d wrapped around her. She grabbed it and clamped her fingers as far around as she could. “Are you ready?” He felt her nod and when she didn’t remove her hands from his arm he pried the first finger away.

“No, please,” her whispered plea made him wonder. He’d been apprehensive during his first cave visit but this was something else. It didn’t matter, though. A Serafin had to conquer such fears.

“Ya’el, you have to do this on your own. I can’t lead you. If you really are the Serafin’an, you must prove your worth. I can help you only so much. You must do the rest.”

“Oh,” came the tiny, desolate response. He waited so long he thought she wasn’t going to be able to manage it. Then the tiny fingers peeled away one by one. “I got turned around, though. I don’t know if I’m pointed in the right direction.”

“That kind of thing doesn’t matter here. Just trust Edrea.”

A tiny hand patted at his chest. He steeled himself against chiding her for it. This was not Genzet and she was not Genzetti. She wouldn’t know. “Alright, then I’ll turn around here and walk forward.”

“Alright. I’m right behind you.”

After they’d gone down the tunnel for what seemed like forever, Ya’el asked, “Ammyr Kol, when we get out of here, will you promise not to tell anyone about this?”

“Only if you promise not to give me any more trouble.” His statement was meant as a jest, but if she took it as a threat, so much the better.

Ya’el groaned and he grinned until she asked, “What’s a serafin’an?”

He held his tongue. The final doorway stood before them and she’d find out soon enough.



So what did you think? Was today's post helpful or encouraging? Did you find the word prompt useful? What about the story snippet? Did you enjoy it and are you excited to see what happens next? I'd love to hear from you in the comments below. 

Please visit again soon and ask your creative friends to join us. 

Until next time,
Turn the page...

Comments

Popular Posts