Author Journey: July 21, 2023 - Keep Pressin' On

 Welcome to the scenic route! Isn't it a beautiful day? Rain or shine, I usually think the day is beautiful. I know I'm unusual. I'm OK with that. If you'd like to hear how my Camp Nano project is going, or want to check out today's writing prompt, just keep reading. 

Author Journey: Progress is Progress...And I'm Pressing On

I've surprised myself during this round of Camp Nano. I'm staying at or above the Nano goal line. Of course, it helps that I lowered my goal to 30k words. Honestly, I didn't think I could meet the 50k goal and I think I was probably right. It's possible I could've hit 40k, but I wasn't sure and I needed a win to improve morale. "Set achievable goals." Right?

Anyway, the editing is moving along. It's been late work for the last couple of days and I'll admit exhaustion has me worried this won't be the best edit I've ever completed. But it's progress. I'll need to do another simple read-through when it's done. (Twist my arm. I really do enjoy reading the Children of Y'Dahnndrya stories, even the unfinished ones. That's gotta mean something good, right?)

So here's where I'm sitting before today's editing session:


Like I said, I probably could've set the goal a bit higher. But when I figure in two days off per week, I just don't think 50k is possible right now. There are too many non-writing things I have to do in a week. 

How's your writing (or creative) project going? Tell me a little about it in the comments below, if you like.


Writer's Life: We Just Keep On Keepin' On

It's been a week, for certain. Last weekend, we upgraded one of our window AC units and it's now cooler in our house. I'm so thankful! And one other perk was that our son was able to use the old one. It wasn't wasted! 

We've been worried about our youngest for a some time. She just couldn't seem to get out of the funk she was in. But, y'all, God is good! She's looking and acting happier. And the feeling I get around her is much lighter than it has been. I think she let a lot of things get in the way of her happiness and block the freedom we have through Jesus Christ our Savior. It's a joy to see God's hand at work all through a life. Sometimes, we have to go through tough spots. It just is what it is. But when we get through them...oh, the joy!

Spartacus is a ton of fun. He's so playful! And he really loves to play with one of us. He'll come stare at me or my husband if I'm at our computers or sitting on the sofa. If we don't acknowledge him, he'll tap at our legs with one, gentle paw a couple times. It's like, "Hey! Hey! I'm here. Let's play!" I'm so happy we have him in our family.

In spite of major kerfuffles in the family, we're doing alright. I'm determined to just keep doing what I'm learning in my Bible readings. In the end, the only thing that matters is my relationship with my Savior and if I'm doing all I should be doing to please Him and bring Him honor and glory. When the time comes, it'll just be me standing before His throne giving an account of all the things I've done. So I don't have time to focus on others and what they're doing. It really doesn't and can't concern me as much as my own behavior. 


Just Keep Writing: Friday Fascicles

If this is your first time participating in this kind of writing exercise, you're in for a treat. If you've done this with me before, just keep scrolling for the prompt.

Rules:

  1. You can use any/all of the words and/or the photo in the prompt below to create a unique written work. Fiction or nonfiction, poetry or prose, even lyrics are acceptable.  
  2. Please keep the material you write clean (i.e. nothing R-rated or worse) if you wish to share the link to your work here, as well as if you link back to my site. I strive to keep my site free of such things. My readers know and expect this. I respect your right to write whatever you feel you need to write. And you're free to use my prompts. But if your material is graphic, I'd rather not view it, and most of my readers will not wish to. 
  3. Have fun! This type of exercise is perfect for growing in the writing craft, or for helping through a rough patch in your current WIP. If you're looking to push your author limits and you normally write in nonfiction prose, try a whimsical collection of lyrics. If you normally write poems about real life events, try your hand at a fanfic. Give yourself some room to explore.

Don't forget to leave a link to your creation (unless you're writing graphic material) so my readers and I can check out your work. I'd appreciate a link back to this post to help me reach more readers, but it's not required. 


What do you think? Are you coming up with any ideas? Let me know if this prompt was helpful in the comments below.


Thanks so much for spending a little time on the scenic route today. My apologies for another late post! I won't bore you with the details. I hope you found your visit useful, helpful, maybe even encouraging. If so, please do come back Monday for a new word prompt. Invite your creative friends to join us! 

Until next time,
Turn the page...

Comments

Popular Posts