Author Journey: February 17, 2023 - Plans, Craziness, and More

 We've come to another weekend and I would look forward to a break in the going, but such is not to be this week. Still, it's for a happy reason and I'm looking forward to the slight shift in our usual schedule. Welcome back, readers and writers. I'm so happy you're here.


Author Journey: What I Worked on While Visiting Family

Yep. I did actually get to work a bit while we were visiting family last week, I popped open my Campfire program and sorted a few things out. I realized quickly that it would probably work better for me if I worked with it in the actual planning stages, rather than after the rough draft is put together. I could be wrong. I guess I'll find out next time I sit down to write for another Nano event. 

My husband and I subscribed to the Canon+ app to be able to listen to audiobooks, podcasts, and documentaries on topics we're really interested in. To my surprise, they have a writing course which I'll be looking into, if not within the next month or two, perhaps over the summer. 

If all goes well, and nothing else interferes with my expectation, I'm thinking The Tale of Outh'n Durr could be published within the next couple or three months. I'm going to start checking out PoD companies and comparing stats as soon as I can. It's been far too long since I looked into them and I need a new place to print hard copies of my books. 

I'm also going to start re-releasing Ripples with the new cover, maybe host a sale or something like that. If I'm successful in finding a printer that fits my preferred price range, I might even host a giveaway. We'll just have to see how the next few weeks go. 


Writer's Life: Craziness Keeps Creeping Around the Corners

Just when you think it's safe to relax a little... Suffice it to say, our week visiting family was a lovely respite of sorts, considering it was bittersweet with some happy highlights. Then when we got home, we were faced with some drama and upheaval from an unexpected quarter. Can't say this rollercoaster of life is dull, that's for certain. So we're having to work out some issues. 

Hopefully, things will settle down soon, but God's plan is good and better than anything I'd come up with. 

Spartacus is one fat, happy cat. Well, he doesn't like it when we have to leave the house, but other than that, he's pretty happy. He's still as playful as ever. 


Just Keep Writing: Friday Fascicles

If this is your first time participating in this kind of writing exercise, you're in for a treat. If you've done this with me before, just keep scrolling for the prompt.

Rules:

  1. You can use any/all of the words and/or the photo in the prompt below to create a unique written work. Fiction or nonfiction, poetry or prose, even lyrics are acceptable.  
  2. Please keep the material you write clean (ie. nothing R-rated or worse) if you wish to share the link to your work here, as well as if you link back to my site. I strive to keep my site free of such things. My readers know and expect this. I respect your right to write whatever you feel you need to write. And you're free to use my prompts. But if your material is graphic, I'd rather not view it, and most of my readers will not wish to. 
  3. Have fun! This type of exercise is perfect for growing in the writing craft, or for helping through a rough patch in your current WIP. If you're looking to push your author limits and you normally write in nonfiction prose, try a whimsical collection of lyrics. If you normally write poems about real life events, try your hand at a fanfic. Give yourself some room to explore.

Don't forget to leave a link to your creation (unless you're writing graphic material) so my readers and I can check out your work. I'd appreciate a link back to this post to help me reach more readers, but it's not required. 

Photo by Isabel Araújo

If you haven't had a chance yet this week, please check out Isabel's gallery at Pexels.com and see the beautiful work shared there.


Just Keep Writing: To the Shrine

Things you may want to know before reading:

  • Ro Lin Hanta - (row leen HAHN tah)
  • Mei Lin Shan - (may leen shahn)
  • Ton Shala Chi - (tone SHAH lah chee)
  • Bal Lanku Firo - (bahl LAHN koo Fee row)
  • Bot’ha - (BOAT hah) - A clan of Y’Dahnndrya
  • Bot’hani - see above, add (ee)at the end
  • Madri - (MAH dree) - mother
  • Padri - (PAH dree) - father
  • Befulla - (BEH fool ah) with the l sound extended - This avian walks on four legs which end in talons. Their feathers range from gold, to coppery-brown, to slivery white, and blendings of those colors. The males have more vibrant crests which run from the crowns of their heads, down their long necks. Hatchling males don’t get their crests until they are fully mature. Bot’hani love them for their chirping cheeriness and as beautiful additions to their gardens.
  • Chang’jo’jah - (chahng JOE jah) - the Bot’hani name for the creator deity
  • Morrowdawn - tomorrow
  • Si’Yinte Falls - (see YEEN tay) - The holy shrine of Bot’ha. A Guardian, appointed by Chang’jo’jah, lives at the shrine and guides pilgrims who visit in the ways of the Creator.
This story is a snapshot. It has a certain closure about it, but it's meant to show the reader a small portion of a character's life. I've completed a light edit on this one, but it's still pretty raw.  I hope you enjoy it in spite of that.

Ro Lin Hanta followed the cobbled street as fast as she could safely go while keeping her eyes down. Yes, she was veiled, as a Bot’hani female should be, and covered from head to toe. Only her eyes were free of the wrappings. But men didn’t seem to care whether all they could see were eyes or not. She’d learned to keep her own eyes down and avoid meeting anyone else’s, lest the result be more than her ponderous mind could handle. 

She wasn’t unable to learn. She just had trouble thinking fast under pressure. Her sister, on the other hand was quick-witted and excellent at social conversation. Oh how she wished Mei Lin Shan was here now. This task would’ve been completed for certain. But Madri was emphatic. Only Ro Lin would do for this task, no matter how many reasons she’d given to the contrary. 

With a sigh, she continued on her way, turning the last corner before her destination. She took two more steps and a rolling blur of red sped in front of her so quickly she was unable to miss it. Her ankle twisted and she ended up fallen in the street with a bruised knee, a throbbing wrist, and a healthy dose of mortification. Why did these things always happen to her? 

“My apologies, honored lady!” The rich, velvety tenor voice came from behind her. She dared not look. His voice was unfamiliar to her and looking at him was sure to bring on trouble. “Are you hurt badly?”

Ro Lin shook her head, but rubbed her wrist all the same. Sudden warmth on her shoulder made her flinch. Would he try to do what others had done in the past? Why did they all press her so?

“I’m sorry, but I need to check your wrist. Please,” he spoke gently, holding out his hand and waiting for her.

That was unusual. And while she thought on the matter, his hand never wavered. Perhaps he would be a safe person, one of the few. She slowly placed her injured hand in his outstretched one. Gentle probing sent strange shivers up her arm until he touched the point where she was certain of a bad bruise forming. She hissed, unable to stop the instinctual reaction. 

“As I saw, earlier. My rogue of a befulla harmed you. He’s still a hatchling and I’m doing my best to train him, but as you can see, things aren’t going so well. I’ll have to hunt him down for it’s unlikely he’ll come when I call.” He sighed. 

Rising to his feet, he retained his hold on her hand, then grasped her elbow with his other hand to help her stand. Her knees were bruised, too, but that was nothing she hadn’t faced before. “My thanks to you for your help,” she murmured, wondering if he’d be able to hear her. 

“Ton Shala Chi,” he offered her his name. Her eyes widened at the family name. The Shala were well known, wealthy members of their town. They had their own private garden large enough to entertain many guests. Ro Lin only knew this because her sister had been blessed with an invitation to one such occasion. Perhaps this man knew her. 

“My name is Ro Lin Hanta. Perhaps you know my sister, Mei Lin Shan?” she asked, hoping for the connection. 

He dropped her hand. Then she couldn’t help but raise her gaze to his in shock. What had her sister done for him to react this way? 

When Ton Shala Chi looked at her again, it was with such disdain she felt the burn of tears behind her eyes. He grabbed for her chin with one hand and spoke directly in front of her face. “When you see that slitchit of a sister again, please give her a message for me.”

Ro Lin trembled and nodded the best she could. 

“Tell her I would never in a thousand tsimikin choose her, even if she was the only Bot’hani woman left alive.” Then he thrust her away from him. Ro Lin stumbled again, but regained her balance faster this time. She’d lost her voice to the shock. So he wasn’t a safe one after all, but it wasn’t because of her eyes, this time. What had her sister done?

As he sped off down the street, a scrabble of toenails on cobblestones came up behind her and stopped. Turning, she saw that Ton Shala Chi’s pet had returned, but to her instead of him. What was she to do now? Looking around, she saw many people, but none of them even looked at her or the beast. 

“What should I do, pet? He’s angry with me and I don’t even know him. Maybe he’ll be angry with you, too, if you stay here with me. You should go meet him so he’ll be happy once again. Isn’t that what pets are supposed to do? Help their caretakers be happy?”

“Who told you that?” Derisive laughter came from behind and above her for she’d squatted down to meet the beast at eye level. This voice she knew well. He was a familiar tormentor. She would gladly ride the waves of Ton Shala Chi’s scathing contempt if only he would return now and help her avoid this man. How had he found her?

A creaky gurgle emanated from within the shimmering breast of the young avian and his feathers trembled. It suprised her and fear for the poor thing flooded her heart. Bal Lanku Firo wouldn’t hesitate to harm him if he got in the way. 

“I told you I would find you again, Ro Lin, and look how Chang’jo’jah has blessed me.” He laughed again, loud and awful. “You will be mine, one way or another. Why do you fight your padri and I so hard?” 

He reached down to grab her arm and she wasn’t quick enough to evade him. Gripping her elbow tightly enough to make her wince and whimper, he hauled her up and closer to him. “Haven’t you ever been taught to stay away from strays? Those talons could gut you. Or perhaps your mind is even slower than usual this dawning?” 

Ro Lin wished she knew what to do. There was no one here who would come to her aid, least of all the befulla’s owner. And with her arm in such a tight grip, she wasn’t sure she could surprise him enough to get away. However, perhaps… 

Raising her foot, she stamped down hard on his booted one. When he yelled and his grip loosened, she twisted and barely escaped his grasp. Her dress would never be the same, though, for he ripped a strip of the fabric, leaving part of her arm bare. She would have to cover as best she could until she could find her way home. She ran. It wasn’t safe for her to run and try to puzzle things out at the same time, but she needed to get home and the thoughts wouldn’t stop.

But if what he said was true, home wasn’t safe, either. Ro Lin couldn’t work it all out. No one wanted her as a life-mate. Her padri made only a modest sum over the course of a tsimikin. Their family didn’t have much to give for a dowry and so she’d resigned herself to a life alone. Her sister was vivacious and cheerful, sure to win someone with her lovely face and carefree spirit. 

Ro Lin’s timid nature was so opposite to hers. And then there were her eyes—one pale brown, the other pale green, and her ponderous mind. Why would anyone want her? Bal Lanku Firo was uncouth to point it out so loudly so everyone could hear, but it was no secret she was much slower at figuring things out than others. She had no particular skills which set her above others in desirability as a life-mate. She had thought at one time to join herself to a healer’s guild and move to a small village in a remote location. Her madri found out about it and put up such a fuss, Ro Lin had given up the idea entirely. Maybe she shouldn’t have, though. 

Heavy footfalls thudded behind her. He was going to catch her if she didn’t find somewhere to hide. She simply wasn’t fast enough to escape him by running. Up ahead, she spied a garden gate ajar. Only public gardens were left open like that. Perhaps there would be a place to hide there. If there wasn’t, she didn’t even want to think about the consequences. 

Turning in, she found a little used path and followed it until it ended at a brick wall. She followed the wall into the thickest part of the foliage and when she felt covered enough, she lay down on the ground to wait. Thankfully, her garments were a blend of gold, green, and a faded pink-tinged brown. Hiding in a garden should be easy.

“Ro Lin Hanta!” The bellow came from nearby, but it was somewhat muffled. “I know you’re here somewhere. I will search until I find you. And when I do, we’re going to go straight to your padri. No more wondering. Morrowdawning will mark the joyous occasion of our joining.” There was silence. Then he said, “Have it your way. I will carry you there kicking and screaming if I must.”

Kicking and screaming? That didn’t sound like her at all. Well, maybe the kicking part. She did stomp on his foot, after all. Perhaps she could find a way to reach Si’Yinte Falls. Surely the Guardian could help her figure out what Chang’jo’jah would have her do. 

Her mind made up, Ro Lin settled in for a long wait. She may not be a quick thinker, but she could be still better than almost anyone else she knew. Besides, this place was quiet and pleasant, barring the bellowing criminal searching for her. 

“What goes on here?” A new voice startled Ro Lin. Why was Ton Shala Chi in a public garden? 

“My intended wandered in here, Ton Shala Chi.” What lies! She was no one’s intended. No one wanted her. “You should keep your gates locked.”
Ro Lin felt cold ice prickle in her stomach. How could she have been so stupid? 

“What’s her name? I’ll help you find her.” That kind gentle tone was back, but would it remain so if he saw that she was the one in hiding? And would he help if she asked? She hardly thought it would be so. 

Their footsteps wandered away. In spite of her tension, or maybe because of it, the peaceful ambience of the garden relaxed her and she drifted off. 
“What in Chang’jo’jah’s brightness are you doing here?” Ton Shala Chi’s indignant question startled her awake. 

With sleep dulling her even more than usual, she stumbled to explain. “Bal Lanku Firo w-was chasing m-me. I saw the open g-gate. Only p-public gardens have o-open gates.” She scrambled to her feet, struggling to keep herself covered appropriately at the same time. The leaves and branches fought her though. By the time she was free of them, her veil had slipped completely off and the torn sleeve of her gown fluttered in the light breeze. 

Two fat tears rolled down her cheeks as heat spread up from her neck. How embarrasing! Madri and Padri would be shamed. And how her sister would laugh at her misfortune. Hanging her head, she murmured, “My apologies, honorable Ton Shala Chi. I’ve caused you much trouble this dawning. It was never my intention to do so. Please have mercy and help me escape Bal Lanku Firo. I will go to the Guardian and dedicate my life to serving Chang’jo’jah. You will never see me again.”

There was a long period of silence which taxed even Ro Lin’s patient nature. She hesitated, but raised her eyes. He hadn’t moved at all. Was he alright? 

“You—” he started, then clamped his lips shut. “Hide again. I’ll see that he leaves.”

Rather than waste time trying the wrong words, she hurried to obey. She wasn’t sure what she’d seen in his face, but she didn’t think he was still angry with her. Why would he help her if he was? That was a simple deduction, thanks be to Chang’jo’jah. 

She was dozing off again by the time Ton Shala Chi returned. “Are you still in there?”

“Yes,” she replied softly, staying put. He hadn’t asked her to leave the space and she didn’t dare do anything without his direction while in his family’s private garden. 

“You can come out now. You have time to gather your veil and situate yourself before you do. I’ll wait out in the open space for you.” He sounded tired more than anything else. Her sympathy stirred. Surely, such well to do people had many responsibilities. He’d seemed so light-hearted when she met him in the street earlier. 

Having time to settle her veil into place was such a blessing. At least she would be mostly covered. There was no help for her sleeve. Carefully, she threaded her way through the shrubs and stepped out into the open space on the path. Falling immediately to her knees at his feet, she said, “My thanks to you for your kindness, honorable Ton Shala Chi, especially when you want nothing to do with me. I will leave immediately.”

“How will you get to the shrine?” he asked, disturbing the peace in the garden.

She raised her face to see that he’d squatted down to be eye level with her. “I…I don’t know but,” she looked away and frowned. “I will find a way. I must go now, though.”

Ton Shala Chi shook his head. “No one will take you without coin. Do you have enough for the passage? For hiring a guide?”

Tears burned at her eyes again as she shook her head. “But I will find a way. It’s my only option. That man will go to my home and wait for me there. With smooth words he’ll convince my padri of his worth as a life-mate. And since I have no other prospects and am beyond the normal age of joining, Padri will accept him as a suitor. I will be joined to him by the morrowdawning and doomed to the life of a slave. I won’t do it. Begging my way to the shrine would be more honorable than subjecting myself to that kind of torturous life.” 

She hung her head. The steady tap-tap of tears dotting the packed soil pathway, rang loudly in her ears. Was there no end to them? 

“I’ll help you, Ro Lin Hanta. I beg forgiveness, expressing deepest sorrow and regret for my angry, public outburst. You’re not your sister. That much is clear to me now. So I will help you get to the shrine.” He raised her chin with his fingers as he spoke until she could see the truth in his clear brown eyes. 

“My thanks to you,” she whispered through her tears. “My thanks to Chang’jo’jah who provided a way through your kindness.”


I hope you enjoyed your stroll on the scenic route today. Did you find something helpful, useful, or enjoyable here? If so, maybe I'll see you around next week when I share another round of prompts, book reviews, and updates. 

Until next time,
Turn the page...

Comments

Popular Posts