Author Journey: October 21, 2022

 Welcome back! I've got a few things to share with you today. I hope you'll look forward to a new word prompt, as well as another chapter in my short story which was birthed from the first word prompt I posted. Let me get right to it.


Author Journey: Where Am I Again?

Oh, yeah. sigh Still waiting for the money to actually publish The Tale of Outh'n Durr. There is nothing more frustrating to me than being stymied through no real fault of my own. I'm not losing hope, but it's just hard to sit still on something that's ready to go. Well, it's at least as ready as I could make it at this point. 

Writer's Life: Feline Friends Update

It's been a while since I shared a photo of our rescues. They're growing and progressing as normal. I thought you might like to see them while on their best behavior. Check them out!


You'll note I've given them full names. and I can't wait to order some nice collars for them. Poor Dusk is in heat now and we're just waiting til we have the full payment to get her spayed. It may be a couple months before that happens, but we'll get there. 

Both of them are so precious, even when we have to step over or around them fifty times in a five minute span. 😂 


Just Keep Writing: Friday Fascicles

This week's writing prompt photos are by Sena. You can check out the awesome gallery Sena has at Pexels.com by clicking here

If this is your first time participating in this kind of writing exercise, you're in for a treat. If you've done this with me before, just keep scrolling for the prompt.

Rules:

  1. You can use any/all of the words and/or the photo in the prompt below to create a unique written work. Fiction or nonfiction, poetry or prose, even lyrics are acceptable.  
  2. Please keep the material you write clean (ie. nothing R-rated or worse) if you wish to share the link to your work here, as well as if you link back to my site. I strive to keep my site free of such things. My readers know and expect this. I respect your right to write whatever you feel you need to write. And you're free to use my prompts. But if your material is graphic, I'd rather not view it, and most of my readers will not wish to. 
  3. Have fun! This type of exercise is perfect for growing in the writing craft, or for helping through a rough patch in your current WIP. If you're looking to push your author limits and you normally write in nonfiction prose, try a whimsical collection of lyrics. If you normally write poems about real life events, try your hand at a fanfic. Give yourself some room to explore.

Don't forget to leave a link to your creation (unless you're writing graphic material) so my readers and I can check out your work. I'd appreciate a link back to this post to help me reach more readers, but it's not required.

Photo by Sena



Just Keep Writing: Knock, Breathe, Shine

Chapter 8 - Washed Clean

Color flooded Merili’s cheeks and her ears flushed even darker. He should’ve held his tongue. Living as a Shinnoahn had robbed him of the knowledge of when to speak and when to keep silent. Kicking himself for such a juvenile mistake, he stepped toward her, an apology hovering on his tongue. Before he could speak it, she’d spun away and disappeared into the room she’d just come from with the rope. 

He knelt to his task, slowly, lest he destroy all the work she put into helping him heal. The rope was good and strong. It would do. And when he was able, he’d drag the three outside her home and hang them from a tree limb for the Senya to find. It was less than they deserved for laying filthy hands on a woman in her own home. Was nothing sacred? How could the Senya delegate a job of enforcing to men without honor?

As Eerk bound the second invader, Merili’s light step announced her return. “My apologies, Merili. I didn’t mean to upset you.” He refused to look at her. Why should he make her more uncomfortable? She’d had enough trouble because of him. It was time to go, though the thought pained him. 

“I’ll haul these misbegotten sons out and then set off. You’ve had enough trouble because of me.” As he stepped over the crashed frames of her beautiful artwork, he shook his head. “How long will it take you to repair the damage they’ve done? Is there any way I can help before I leave?” He did look at her then.

The frown she wore, confused him even more, until she said, “You can’t leave yet. The salve’s hardly had time to start its work.” He opened his mouth to protest, but she raised her hand and continued. “No. No argument, Eerk. You’re not leaving yet. You asked for my help. I willingly accepted whatever came of it when I agreed.” 

He shook his head ruefully. “Merili, you did not agree to be manhandled for me.”

“I did,” she hissed, hands on her hips. “I most certainly knew who’d be chasing you in my own area. And I also know something you don’t.” Her voice quietened and she bowed her head, murmuring the rest. He almost didn’t catch it. “Mar’l’s been after me for more tsimikin than I care to count. While my parents were alive, he asked permission to court me, which my babeiya denied. When they died, he renewed his attempts, thinking I’d be so lonely I’d give in, especially when he threatened anyone else who looked my way.” She raised sad eyes to meet his again. “He would’ve taken any opportunity. I just wasn’t as prepared for him as I thought. It’s not your fault, Eerk.” 

Silence filled the room long enough to make him uncomfortable. The struggle to control his fury took all his faculties. Finally, he managed a single, slow nod. Outward acknowledgment of her words should put her at ease while leaving his options open. “I’m going to take them outside.” 

“Not without help.” She was frowning again. 

He chuckled. He couldn’t help it. “If that’s what you wish, who am I to try stopping you, Merili?” 

A determined smile brightened Merili’s face as she nodded. Eerk turned to grab Mar’l’s feet. Once he was strung up, the others would be more manageable if they happened to wake. Cut off the head of the slitchit and the whole beast would die. 

It was refreshing to feel useful again, much like bathing in a waterfall. Not that reminding the people of Y’Dahnndrya of the ancient ways was never fulfilling. Some dawnings brought many blessings. But more often than not, people didn’t want to hear about the truth staring them in the face. 

Merili’s presence had been good for him when he’d first seen her and she’d been a great help now. However, his presence obviously wasn’t best for her safety. 

And there was a more troubling problem. The men knew he’d been in Merili’s house and that she’d been helping him. She’d be in danger when he left, maybe more than if he stayed. The only way she might not be in danger was if the men were silenced. There would’ve been no question of the sentence in his own tribe. He shook his head. As tempting as it was, that wasn’t why he’d been sent to Merili’s part of Shinnoah. Eerk shut down unnecessary thoughts and focused on cleaning out the refuse dirtying Merili’s front room. 


Thank you so much for stopping by today! I hope you found some interesting, helpful, or day-brightening items in my post. 

It is my hope to continue sharing three-word prompts daily so check back Monday for a new one, as well as a new featured photographer. 

Until next time...

Turn the page...

Comments

Popular Posts