Book Notes: May 25, 2022 - Yikes! I'm Behind!

 I don't think I've EVER been so far behind in my reading. Five books, y'all...I'm almost speechless. It's Monday, the 23rd of May 2022 as I'm writing this. I have to read 28 books by the end of June just to catch up. *blink**blink* I don't think I've ever been so happy the normal chores are caught up, the kittens are settled, and the garden is taken care of. I think I can spend most of my day reading...if I don't fall asleep. XD It's been a long, busy weekend with some serious stresses kind of compounding things. Still, God is good. I've got a couple historical romances for you -- the first one inspirational, the second not. On with the reviews!


Book Review: Her Convenient Cowboy (Wyoming Legacy book 6) by Lacy Williams

Her Convenient Cowboy (Wyoming Legacy Book 6)Her Convenient Cowboy by Lacy Williams
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Enjoyable Story

I enjoyed reading the book. I'd read some of Lacy Williams' work before, but this is the best I've seen yet from her. I'll have to check out some more books in this series.
If you enjoy clean, historical romance with a bit of faith peppered throughout, you'll probably want to add this to your TBR list.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Messenger's Mischief (Wells Fargo West #1) by Julia David


The Messenger's Mischief (Wells Fargo West #1) (Wells Fargo West Series)The Messenger's Mischief (Wells Fargo West #1) by Julia David
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Fun Story

This was a fun story, but there were lots of grammatical errors. I also found the characters were interesting, but sometimes hard to relate to. Though not often, some of the lingo was modern and spoken by a character who I couldn't picture saying such a thing.
Overall, this was a jarring sort of plot. The heroine's use of scripture and her concern about doing the right thing clashed with some of her actions. It's clean, though, with some sweet moments, lots of action, and romance. If you like those sorts of things, you may be able to overlook the things which made this a 3.25-star read for me.

View all my reviews

Just to clarify, some of the things that really didn't jive for me were - 
  • this young lady's chaperone, her doting (?) aunt, leaves her in the middle of the unsettled American west to continue the last leg of her journey for a percieved ailment
  • the heroine is often found in the company of a single male without a chaperone, even though she knows she could lose her job, and even though her job is /everything/ to her
  • the heroine goes to a single father's home alone for a supper meal and is not properly chaperoned...far too naive!
  • In a house full of widows, one would expect them, at least /one/ of them, to know the importance of the heroine needing a chaperone and providing that. 
There were some more issues, but I just had so much trouble meshing this young woman's goals with her behavior. The lack of common sense, not only on her part, but on the part of her mother and aunt, was absolutely astonishing to me, especially considering the time in American history and where this young lady was going. 

There were some fun touches, the newspaper man being one of them. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to check out these book reviews! I hope you see something which piques your interest. If so, I'd love to hear about it in the comments below. 

As I was sitting here typing, I realized why my reviews are so short. I absolutely hate texting and most of the time, I read on my phone. I keep my reviews short because I hate the tiny keyboard on my phone. That's totally the reason. And I'm laughing at myself. 

Now I must sign off so I can mimic the lady dividing the sections of my post. 

Turn the page...

Comments

Popular Posts