Book Notes: February 2, 2022 - Clean Regency Romance

 Welcome back for another round of book reviews! I hope you'll find something which piques your interest. I've been managing to keep ahead of schedule. My reading goal this year is 200 books. I tried once before to manage this, but failed. We'll see how it goes this year. 


Book Review: Miss Minerva's Pirate Mishap (Bluestocking Battalion, #1) by Maggie Dallen


Miss Minerva's Pirate Mishap (Bluestocking Battalion, #1)Miss Minerva's Pirate Mishap by Maggie Dallen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A Fun Romance

I had a nice review all typed up and because the [Kindle] app is awkward on my phone, it's gone now. I'll do my best to rewrite it.
I enjoyed the fairytale quality of this story. The characters were varied and interesting. I look forward to reading more about them in the rest of the series. It's a clean, historical romance with a bit of humor, a dash of spice, and a mystery, which contributed to the higher rating.
What kept it from being a 5-star was the constant use of modern phrases, as well as a few misused words. I do realize [believe] this book is targeted at YA/teen readers. I think it's perfect for that group
If you enjoy clean, historical, YA romance, then I recommend this book to you.

View all my reviews

Book Review: Kingcastle by Sophia Holloway 


KingscastleKingscastle by Sophia Holloway
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.5 stars, An Excellent Romance

I wasn't holding my breath when I chose to give this book a try. To be honest, I've read quite a few blurbs which promised more than they should have. I'm happy to say I was pleasantly surprised.
The author used words I haven't seen in other books of the present day. I awarded 2 stars for that alone. There was even one I needed to look up. Kudos, Sophia Holloway! Overall, the plot is well done, as are the characters. If there were any typos, I didn't notice them.
I took off half a star for unexpected POV switches and for three romances going on at once. I worked through those things and really enjoyed this book. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys sweet, clean, Regency romances.

View all my reviews

I think it's also important to note neither of these is completely accurate for the time period. The authors did a good job of writing which made it easy for me to set that aside. These were both pretty fun books to read. I'd read either of them again and that's saying a lot actually. I hope you'll give one of these books a try and let me know what you think about them.




I know many publishers push their authors to write using words from the modern era. They often say that helps make sales. In truth, it probably does but how many times is quality sacrificed in the name of profits? 

This is one of the major reasons I went the self-publishing route. I can't stand using language that doesn't fit the time period or genre just so my books will sell to people who probably don't care about the purpose behind my books. Using the most accurate nouns, verbs, and adjectives will make the most impact on readers. If you ever read the phrase 'come with' in my books and don't see a pronoun immediately following it, please put me out of my misery. 

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts