Author Journey & Book Notes Combo Post - December 17, 2021 - It's OK to Not Be OK

 I totally missed the Tuesday post. We had a friend staying with us last week and the early part of this week and I didn't want to spend too much time at my desk. I didn't even think of setting up the Wednesday post in advance. *sigh* Still, at least I'm here today, back up and running. 


Author Journey - Weekly Update

I'm writing a new story set in Y'Dahnndrya that doesn't have too much to do with the current series. It's linked, but only because they live in the same world and are dealing with the same distressing patterns of people who've fallen away from the good paths. 

I wanted to share a gif of the sacrifice made at the stone table in D*sn*y's remake of Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia, but I can't even sift through the gifs without sobbing. Because I am Edmund. Who else can relate?  

That's the theme I'm going for in my own work because it's something I know very well from personal experience. It's been interesting to see how God's hand is at work in my life, not only as a wife, mom, homeschool teacher, and artist, but also as a writer. The slow pace fits my own needs. I'm easily overwhelmed by sudden changes and I do believe God works in us and through us in ways that are best for us. 

One of my favorite musical groups is We Are Messengers. They express the difficulties of being human in ways that are beautiful and poignant. I hope they will be able to maintain Biblical integrity as they continue putting out new music. If it's hard for those of us who remain globally anonymous, a face among millions, it's even more difficult for someone in the public eye to maintain Biblical standards and not be swayed by the "fame and fortune". 

That was one of the reasons I never set out with that goal in mind when I started writing. I wanted to have fun putting the stories in my head onto paper. I don't ever want to dishonor my Elohim (God) with what I do in my life, and that includes my writing. So in this case, slow and steady will actually win the race. 

A New Story - Romance?

My new story is called "On the Shores of Lake Serpeti" and I haven't decided whether it will be a traditional romance or what passes for romance today. (I took the liberty of looking up the definition of romance for you. Thank you Merriam-Webster!) When I consider the word for this story, I know for certain it will fall into a category defined by numbers 1a1-2, 2, and 3. 

I look forward to seeing where this story goes. Beyond knowing the hero was a wounded Genzetti in hiding, the heroine was Bot'hani, and they meet by the shore of a lake in Genzet Territory, I had nothing to go on. I'm sitting at four and a half chapters right now. If I'm honest, it should've been five, but I spent most of my day searching for and rejecting Christmas gifts. (I did find three items which I loved and which would get here in time for Christmas. I'm considering that a win.)

Disclaimer: I'm a sucker for happy endings, but be warned! My books are labeled fantasies for a reason. They may lack a happy ending at some point and characters will possibly die. To maintain that layer of believability in a fantasy story, a writer has to include some bits of reality which a reader can relate to emotionally. I may not be a pro, but I know what I like and hate about books I've read in the past. There's nothing that will destroy my faith in a story like everything falling into place neatly. 

Things to Consider in Future

I'll keep y'all posted on that story. I'm pondering using Medium or Patreon to start posting stories chapter by chapter on a subscription basis. I just hate that someone might have to stop in the middle of a story because the funds aren't there anymore. 

I'll probably post a survey about it around the first of the year to get an idea of what people think about such sites. I do realize that will add another layer of responsibility to my already heavy load and I'll probably have to give up something. 

My main concern is what to do when I don't have chapters to share because there will be periods of literary drought. I need to see how other authors are working with the sites. Unfortunately, I don't subscribe to any. I probably should, though. Some of my author connections from previous social media sites use Patreon and Medium. I guess I better get busy. 

Book Notes: More Romance Book Reviews

This is turning into a long post! The words are slowly, but surely, coming back to me as I continue pressing on in my author journey. It's feeling pretty good to be able to enjoy writing again. This blog has been a life-saver because without it, I would've quit writing entirely for the past year. That would've been tragic, I think. Let me get those book reviews for you...

Book Review: Trusting the Hero (Heroes of Freedom Ridge #8) by Hannah Jo Abbott

Trusting The Hero  (Heroes of Freedom Ridge #8)Trusting The Hero by Hannah Jo Abbott
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Good, Sweet Romance

I thought this book was interesting because the plot was well done. At least, it was a plot that kept me turning pages. Compared to others in the series, it didn't have quite as much action. The hero and heroine, however, were both enjoyable to read. I liked the ending, too.
If you enjoy clean, contemporary, inspirational romance with a little action and suspense thrown in, then I recommend you try this book.

View all my reviews

My review is short because Hannah Jo Abbott isn't one of my favorite authors. Her style just lacks something I can't really pinpoint. Maybe it's too idealistic? I don't know. If I managed to figure it out, I'll share it in a future book notes post. 

Book Review: Believing the Hero (Heroes of Freedom Ridge #9) by Tara Grace Ericson


Believing the Hero  (Heroes of Freedom Ridge #9)Believing the Hero by Tara Grace Ericson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Pretty Good Romance Tale

This story was enjoyable and the plot and characters kept me reading. I loved seeing these two MCs work out their problems in a healthy and spiritually mature way as the book progressed.
I also liked the way the story ended. Several moments had me hurting so much concerning the MCs and their struggles. These characters did their best to live their faith out daily. What an admirable thing!
If you enjoy inspirational romance with some action thrown in, then I recommend you try this story.

View all my reviews

You'll notice this review was a little longer. That either means I got a lot more about of the book because I enjoyed it or it means I was more alert. If you're a new reader, I read all the time, but I find myself finishing books mostly late at night. Sometimes, that means I'm barely keeping my eyes open. But rather than forget to post a review later (which has happened...*cringe*), I try to get that review out. 

I think what I enjoyed most about book nine was the older couple who were the MCs. I have to say I pictured them as /much/ older when they appeared as cameos and secondary characters in previous books of the series. What I disliked the most, I think, is how fast this book moved. I realize the need to keep it short considering the target audience, but I would definitely have loved a longer story that went more in depth. These characters have lived a decent length of time and experienced a whole lot of life. It would've been nice to see a bit deeper into that. 

One thing this series is good for is introducing me to some authors I haven't met yet. That's always good because it broadens your reading horizons a bit. Plus, romance authors, when read consistently, can grow old real quick, especially if they focus on one town and people it with all the MCs. They can end up sounding very cookie-cutter-like. One person who has managed to avoid this fairly well is Debra Clopton. 


If you made it this far, you deserve a full plate of your favorite Christmas or holiday cookies and a full mug or glass of your favorite pairing beverage. Seriously! This post ended up being far longer than I expected. 

I hope you found the information in today's post useful or encouraging in some way. I look forward to getting back into the usual routine next week. I can hardly believe Christmas is next Saturday. *blink**blink* Did it sneak up on any of you?

Come back next week for more book reviews and another author journey update. Hope to see you there!

Comments

Popular Posts