Book Notes: Book Reviews - Contemporary Romance

 Welcome back! I'm an hour and half late typing this out which means it'll be even more late getting to my readers, but I hope I can still offer some variety in reading choices. These were not really hitting the mark for me, but I bet there are other readers out there who'd find them pretty nice. Check them out!

Book Review: Love on the Line (Women at Work #1) by Kirsten Fullmer

Love on the Line (Women at Work #1)

Love on the Line by Kirsten Fullmer
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Interesting Characters & Story

When I got this book, I didn't really know what to expect, so I waited a while to read it. The story is definitely unlike others in that there's a woman doing a job usually done by men. She's plucky. I also like that the job focus was on something more blue collar than white collar. That's also something I don't come across much. Kudos for those things!
Things not so much my cuppa were the reckless behavior in the relationship and the fact that the recklessness continues beyond anything the reader could see by the end. Also, as one would encounter in such a work environment, there was a fair amount of cussing, mostly mild. I'd have expected much worse, actually. There were a few sex scenes but it wasn't like the book was only that, thank goodness. So these things took a couple stars away. While it didn't make the grade for me, it would maybe appeal to others. If you like different, more modern-themed romance, this might be the book for you.

View all my reviews

*Soapbox Moment Alert*

My definition of reckless behavior probably needs to be defined for my readers. I am of a more traditional mindset and prefer to see a couple who is dating to get to know one another with the idea that marriage is the ultimate goal. You can call it outdated if you want to. But I know the importance of intimacy and to me, a solid foundation for a marriage or any relationship has to be built up over time. 

Physical intimacy should be the last thing you share and that, only after vows of commitment are made. I think most people have trouble with the commitment part in our society today because everything is considered disposable. I see that as a crying shame. Far be it from me to be dishonest with my readers. 

*Steps Down Off Soapbox*

So, yeah, this book wasn't exactly my cuppa. I did finish it and I did enjoy the basic plot. I found the technical writing was well done so it wasn't a waste of time for me.   

 Book Review: Mountain Hearts (Peakview, Colorado, #9) by Jill  Haymaker

Mountain Hearts (Peakview, Colorado, #9)Mountain Hearts by Jill Haymaker

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Started Out With High Hopes

I loved the premise of this book. The characters seemed like interesting people. The first thing that struck me was how the heroine's grief seemed almost token at points. The next thing that bothered me was how a 35 - 40-something male could be so self-sufficient in many ways, caring for others, and having a desire to do what he considered right, then turn right around and be as awkward and immature as could be. Not saying it was unbelievable, but he just wasn't a broken hero I could believe in, if that makes sense.

Having said all that, I did read to the end and enjoyed seeing some positive growth in both the characters. The settings were written so well I could easily put myself in each place. I also love the vibe of a small town.

If you enjoy easy to read contemporary romance which is more about people getting to really know each other, then you may want to give this book a try.

View all my reviews

I've read Jill Haymaker's work before and I'll keep trying to find one of her books that is a 5-star winner for me. For some authors, it just takes time. For others, you know right away their work wasn't targeted toward you, you know? I like the way she writes...simple and down-to-earth in some really good ways. 

In the case of this particular book, though, I had a hard time believe the heroine was a grieving mother. The scenes of her grief were minimized and being a mom myself and the wife of a veteran, I know I would have seriously struggled to overcome the loss of such a young child, even if that child wasn't in the best of health to begin with. 

I grieved every time my husband deployed and I functioned like an automaton during his last deployment. Being a loner and something of an odd duck, my husband's commanding officer had to actually make an effort to get me to go out and do something fun at least once while my husband was deployed. I think I went to see one of the Star Wars re-releases...so yeah, years ago. Still, I don't remember much from that time. I shut down anything I didn't absolutely need to survive until my husband got back home. Our two oldest are still alive and well, so I consider that a success. 

But the point is, I didn't just pick up without some serious hardships that certainly made it difficult to relate to others around me. Functioning in survival mode is...hard to describe to someone who's never had to do that. And while it isn't pleasant, I'd do it all again if I had to because I love my husband and my children very much. 

I also feel my life as a homemaker, wife, mother, and writer is a calling placed upon me by God so I want to do the best job I can and be as faithful as I can to live a life that's pleasing to Him. If I lost my husband and/or one of my children, I can promise you I would not have been hyper-focusing on anything else around me besides that grief, that extremely huge gaping hole which their loss would leave behind. 

My husband and children are not like farm cats which I can more easily write off should they unfortunately end up killed by a predator or run over by a car. While I can get over that loss in a few days at most, I don't think a year would be enough for me to grieve the loss of a child. Shoot! I still cry over my two miscarriages from time to time and I never got to meet those two sweet ones. 

So that was my main sticking point with this story. I felt like the heroine was only loosely connected to her child. Another person may view that differently. Certainly, perspective varies from person to person since we are unique individuals. So I'd encourage you to give the book a try yourself and see what you think about it. 


Well, this post morphed into more than I expected. I guess you might get more of a dose of the real me than maybe you'd want.😏 Who knows? Still, I hope you'll give these two books a try if what I disliked in them doesn't bother you. If you do, I'd love to hear your perspective once you're done reading. That is, if I haven't scared you away forever. 😢

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts