Author Journey: July 16, 2021 - Camp Nano Progress and Volunteering

 Welcome back for another author journey update! I'm happy you stopped by today. I've got a couple of awesome and fun things to share with you. I hope you'll read on to check them out.


Author Journey: Camp Nano July 2021 Progress


As you can see, I've been making decent progress this month. I'm particularly happy with the way the story is shaping up so far. My story written my way may not be everyone's cuppa, but that's OK with me. I love writing and I'm going to keep doing so in the way that best fits me. 

If you'd like to get a snippet of the story, please sign up for my monthly (sometimes I forget, though) newsletter. I'm going to be sharing large snippets there from now on. I'm looking forward to the August newsletter because I'll be sharing one of my favorite scenes so far. 


Author Journey: Volunteering - What Can I Do?

The communities we live in, whether rural or urban, offer many opportunities for us to use the gifts and talents we possess to teach, encourage, and benefit others. I was offered a chance to read to middle and high school students at our local library. 

The children's librarian asked me to read my own book to them, but I chose to start them off with one of my favorite series when I was in school: The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. I felt like this series fit the activity better because my book is really for older teens and young adults. There probably aren't many 12-14 year-olds who'd enjoy Ripples that much. Some would, to be sure, but they'd need to have a more mature reading mind, if that makes sense.

The first day went very well. Courtesy is always appreciated and I was happy to see these students being respectful and helpful to each other, as well as being as quiet as possible so everyone could hear the story. I'm going back again today and looking forward to it after having to quarantine, then having a scheduling mishap. Life! It's never boring if you think about it.

I love to read aloud and haven't done so in such a long time. Well, I mean I haven't done so for fun. I read aloud during our school work, but sometimes that reading isn't something we chose and can be dry or 'boring'.  I don't usually find it boring but my daughter does. I try to make it as fun and interactive as possible, though. 

So what can you share with others? I highly recommend volunteering at your local library to teach something you enjoy to others or read your favorite books to others. The possibilities are amazing with very few limitations. Everyone has something they could share to enrich the lives of others. 

And you know what one of the awesome side effects is? You get something wonderful out of being able to share without expecting something in return. There's this sense of contentment and accomplishment that doesn't need acknowledgment to back it up. It's a beautiful thing. Why not give it a try?


Thank you so much for visiting the blog today. I hope you have a safe, happy, and healthy weekend. See you soon!

Comments

Popular Posts