Book Notes: Book Reviews - Maggie Platt and Byrd Nash

 I have two extremelly pleasant fantasy books to share with you today! By pleasant, I mean they were a joy to read. Both are clean fantasy stories and appropriate for teens on up. Keep reading to check out my reviews!


Book Review: Kingdom Above the Cloud by Maggie Platt

Kingdom Above the Cloud (Tales from Adia, #1)Kingdom Above the Cloud by Maggie Platt
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh, my gosh! What a great book! If you love allegorical fantasy, you won't be disappointed with this one, so don't pass up a chance to read it.

This book is the first in a series or set so there /is/ a cliff hanger. I don't usually read series books unless I'm certain I can get the following books fairly quickly, or at least have the certainty that the author is working on them and will be publishing them. I won this one in a contest and wasn't sure what to expect. I'm happy to say I was very satisfied and enjoyed it enough to read it again in the future.

I love how the author portrays each character so vividly and has woven her book world in such a clear way. I was moved to tears at different points as Tovi struggled through some of the things she was learning.

I don't think there was anything I didn't like about this story. I didn't notice any typos, either because there weren't any, or because the story had me totally wrapped up and they weren't bad enough to hijack my progress.

Kingdom Above the Cloud is an inspirational fantasy like no other I've read and I hope she will keep up the good work. I can't wait to read the next book!

View all my reviews

My daughter and I read this together as part of her literature class. I chose it because I knew it was written by a Christian author and we wouldn't have to read things neither of us want to. We got to discuss a lot of the choices the characters made and how things might have been different if they'd gone a different way. We both agreed the book was fantastic and we are both ready to read book two. 

Book Review: Price of a Rose: A Beauty & the Beast Tale by Byrd Nash


Price of a Rose: A Beauty & Beast Tale (Historical Fantasy Fairytale Retellings Book 2)Price of a Rose: A Beauty & Beast Tale by Byrd Nash
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm not a fan of Disney's Beauty and the Beast or the original fairytale, but this retelling was well done and highly enjoyable. I look forward to reading the next book.

The characters were new in a lot of ways. I loved their quirks and even the way the fae were woven into the tale. These things made the story more fairytale-like.

My favorite character was Griff. It's not often I find the hero more likeable than the other characters, so that was a happy change. The story was so well written and edited that I sped through it in a few hours.

If you enjoy fairytale romance which is magical and clean, then definitely give this book a try.

View all my reviews

I'm happy to say I finally got to read one of Byrd Nash's books. I have two in my TBR list, but I chose this one first. It was more in line with what I normally read. 

I hope you'll give one of these books a try. If you enjoy fairytales, then try Byrd's book. If you enjoy epic, allegorical fantasy, then Maggie's book should appeal to you. Let me know what you think if you read them!

Thanks for stopping by today!

Comments

Popular Posts