December 2020 Book Notes: Mary Kingswood

 I love a Regency romance when it's well done. I don't think I've come across a modern author who has written such stories better than Mary Kingswood. Read on to check out my reviews of two of her books. The two I chose are also mysteries, so that was an interesting twist to this type of romance which I hadn't seen done yet. 


Book Review: The Widow (Silver Linings Mysteries, #1) by Mary Kingswood


The Widow (Silver Linings Mysteries, #1)

The Widow by Mary Kingswood
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is the second book I've read by Mary Kingswood and I am just as satisfied with her work this time as I was last time. Her attention to detail in every respect, while keeping the plot riveting, and the reader invested in the lives of the characters, is downright amazing when compared with others. I've seen so many books labeled 'Regency romance' which only fit because of the style of clothing worn by the characters and the architecture surrounding them. When the characters do not act according to the norm of the day, it just throws me out of the story. Thankfully, Mary Kingswood presents a product that is authentic is every way, at least to my knowledge. Another thing in her favor is her request at the end of the book to note any discrepancy in the accuracy of the time so she can extend her own knowledge.
Concerning this particular book, I love the proper responses of the characters, mainly acknowledging their past mistakes and seeking to better themselves in the future. They caution younger people accordingly, but without being preachy about it, and are respectful without being boring. The heroine's wish to stand on her own feet and her gumption as she goes about it seemed fitting and correct for a woman of that time period, at least to my knowledge.
I found the plot interesting, too. While I figured out the mystery early on, it was great fun to read about the way the characters solved it. To me, this was a win in a Regency romance driven by mysterious happenings.
So if you like true-to-form Regency romance in the style of Jane Austen, if you enjoy a cozy mystery, and if you appreciate characters who adhere to a moral code which is fitting for the time in which the story is set, please do not pass up the chance to read this book.

View all my reviews

Book Review: The Lacemaker (Silver Linings Mysteries, #2) by Mary Kingswood

 

The Lacemaker (Silver Linings Mysteries #2)

The Lacemaker by Mary Kingswood
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I truly enjoy reading Mary Kingswood's stories. She has a wonderful way with words and seems to be a master of telling Regency era tales. In this one, though there were many characters, it was easy to keep up with each of them and tell who was who. Both the plot, including the mystery, and the characters were well written.
When I read a mystery story, I don't try to figure things out along the way. So when it's obvious to me, it's too obvious. I was pleased to find that wasn't the case here. I never guessed who the culprit was, though a more observant reader might.
I don't think I have any complaints at all about this story. It was enjoyable and a pleasant way to spend my leisure time. If you enjoy clean, true-to-form Regency romances, then definitely give this one a try.

View all my reviews

 One thing I didn't mention in either of the reviews was how much I love the covers of these books. This whole series has a set of gorgeous covers which fit well for the genre and setting. I enjoyed these books so much, I'd gladly purchase the whole set as soon as I can.


I hope if you enjoy Regency romance novels and mysteries you'll give this author a try. I think you'll find them just as enjoyable as I did.

Comments

Popular Posts