May 2019 Book Notes: Tanya Bird

 I got an exciting email from Amber Argyle the other day. She and several other authors got together and offered their newsletter subscribers the opportunity to download one book from each of them. Free! What reader can resist the lure of free books? So I checked out the list. I downloaded all but two and the one from Amber Argyle that I already owned, read, and reviewed.
Today's book review is on my first choice from the reading stack - The Royal Companion by Tanya Bird.


 Book Review: The Royal Companion by Tanya Bird


The Royal Companion (The Companion, #1)

The Royal Companion by Tanya Bird
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have to say I enjoyed this new twist on an old plot line. I consider it a plus that it was /not/ in first person, limited POV. I liked Aldara, the MC. She's strong and determined and not perfect. I like that she goes against the path people are trying to carve for her. I also like that she retains the essence of who she is, not allowing the pomp and grandeur to change her. I also liked the fact that the hero has a heart for people.

Overall, the plot for this story is interesting and I'd really like to see what happens next. I don't know that I'll add it to my favorites stack, but I'm definitely going to do my best to finish the series. I've been trying to find more modern books in the fantasy genre that I can truly enjoy and I feel like this one was a win. The setting is well crafted as are the characters. From a technical standpoint, I think this is very well done.

If you enjoy fantasy stories with a sort of dark fairytale twist, you might enjoy this one. If you like castles and princes and knights, you'd probably enjoy it. If you enjoy romance with a good plot, then give this one a go. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 16 because it gets really dark and graphic at a couple points.

View all my reviews

 I've seen some really long reviews posted on Goodreads. Kudos to those dedicated readers and reviewers! I am not one of those types of reviewers. I hope the authors will forgive me for my short (and often sleep deprived) reviews on their hard work.


If you think you might enjoy reading this book or some of Tanya Bird's other work, use the link at the very top (her name, highlighted) to visit her website or visit her Goodreads profile page to learn more.


Thanks for reading! More on the progression of the challenge on Friday. Stay tuned!

Comments

Popular Posts