April Author Inspiration Challenge 2019

 @bats_writer is hosting this creative challenge. It's meant to inspire as well as help you fill in some blanks for your WIP. Also, the scene I shared for day 15 may need a trigger warning since it deals with something difficult. If you think you might be bothered by such a topic, then I hope you'll simply pass on this article and come back for the next one.


 

  • Day 1 - Favorite Weasly Twins Quote - "'E' is for 'exceeds expectations', And I've always thought Fred and I should've got 'E' in everything, because we exceeded expectations just by turning up for exams." I have never read the books, but I've seen the movies. While I know I miss a lot by doing that, I honestly don't /want/ to read the books. Not right now. Maybe when I have grand-kids and can read aloud to them, it will be the perfect time. Fred and George, however, are my favorite characters, followed closely by the Whomping Willow, the car, and Hagrid, in that order.
  • Day 2 - January through March Recap: What's your favorite post so far? -  My favorite post is still the mood/inspiration board I did for Surge almost two years ago.
  • Day 3 - Writing Inspiration - I'm inspired by /everything/ in my life, from pictures of places I've never seen, to family, to places I've visited, and events/activities I've participated in.
  • Day 4 - Something Weird You Believed As A Child - I used to believe if my family, who lived in the country, just lived in the city, then my friends would be closer and we could visit every day. But I know now that a simple move wouldn't have changed my mother's strict rules about those visits. If she didn't know the parents, we didn't get to visit the friend. I love my parents for their meticulous care of my sister and me!
  • Day 5 - The First Book You Remember - "Lucky Puppy" from the Walt Disney children's book series was the first book I read by myself. We used to have a huge, illustrated Bible story book which my parents would read my sister and I bedtime stories from. If my dad was reading, we could always talk him into reading the story about the twelve plagues of Egypt. It was by far the longest story in the book and bless him! He never caught on and always read it. You may be thinking to yourself, "How sweet that she still believes he never caught on!" And you would be mistaken. He /really/ never caught on. My dad's mind is too busy to catch things like that. What /was/ sweet about it was that Dad is more of a doer than a sit-and-read type. But he still took time to sit and read to us. If I ever get my memoir finished, you'll be able to read this and a little more about it.
  • Day 6 - Bookish Clothes - This is how you know the person creating the challenge is probably 20 years younger than you. I don't spend much money on things like that anymore. I used to...but we don't make as much money as we did back then and we have a whole lot more expenses. However, when I do get birthday money, I have been known to buy a thing or two that's totally frivolous. I love my Alice in Wonderland scarf which I purchased from Books-a-Million...last one on the rack and maybe even the last one in the state because we had to go to a different town and hour and a half away to find it. I also try to get a t-shirt for Nano events, so I'm wearing a Camp Nano tee in this photo, though the scarf covers most of it. 
  • Day 7 - Children in Your Story - Yes. Zek is a young man, just embarking on a pilgrimage which will determine where his talents lie. Liha is several tsimikin (years) younger than he is. She's still learning things like protocol, personal conduct, etiquette, and how to care for the things one is entrusted with. 
  • Day 8 - Hobby That's Not Reading or Writing - I enjoy music and love to sing and play instruments. Singing is my favorite of the two, though. Playing music is much harder for me. I also enjoy sewing costumes and serviceable items for around the house. I like to take nature hikes, especially in State Parks and other such well-kept areas. I appreciate a walkway or gravel path to help support my weak ankles. Being out in nature is so refreshing!
  • Day 9 - Behind the Scenes - I think the photo probably says all I want to say on this topic. LOL
  • Day 10 - Favorite Books - These are some of my favorite books. I've linked the titles to their Goodreads pages. I highly recommend these, if not for sheer enjoyment, then for technical study. 1. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien;
    2. Tahn by L.A. Kelly;
    3. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare;
    4. The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey;
    5. Paradise Lane by William Taylor;
    6. Spellfire by Ed Greenwood; and
    7. The Obnoxious Jerks by Stephen Manes.
  • Day 11 - Favorite Number - My favorite number is five. 
  • Day 12 - Most Frequent Color on Your Bookshelf - I was surprised to find it was red instead of black or gray! But that would make sense. One marketing trick is to use red because it really catching the eye of a person just passing by, even if they only glance. 
  • Day 13 - Favorite Writing or Reading Spot - Any coffee shop, library, or cozy nook will do!
  • Day 14 - Other Social Media or Website - You can find me at any of my online locations through my landing page. I hope to have a link in the sidebar menu to make this easier for you.
  • Day 15 - The Saddest Scene in Your WIP - The first chapter is the saddest scene to me, but small tragedies seem to follow this really big one for Zek. Another scene I wrote which originally followed the portion I shared on IG, is also sad, but in a different way. I do know when I wrote both of them, I was moved to tears and the larger part tears at my heart as a mother. I lost two babies through miscarriage and it left me hollow and grieving. I can only imagine what it must be like to have to give your baby up for adoption, knowing that baby is still alive and you still may never see them again. But at least there's a possibility, whereas with miscarriage... *sigh*
    The scene (which follows) probably won't make it into the final copy of Over Land & Under Stone, but you can still read it here:
    She reached the far side of the clearing. Pounding footsteps behind her sent her into quick hiding. Just as another pain hit, a leather-booted leg stepped into her hiding spot. In spite of her condition, she gripped the thick ankle with both hands intending to escape, no matter the cost.
    Jema Natro,” the deep, rich voice chided. She remembered it well. And the frisson of pleasure it had once induced in her younger self. Tears brimmed and blurred her vision as she scanned upward. When she met the gentle, clear gray eyes that had lowered to her level, she loosened her grip on the soft leather.
    Tor Gervell! It’s been a long time but, I must speak with you. It’s urgen…” Her voice trailed off in a groan. She doubled over with the force of this one. Her precious, impatient child would not wait long. When she could speak again, she begged, “Please, Tor. There is no one else.”
    Before she finished her plea, he was kneeling beside. He knew — could see what needed to be done. “I beg your forgiveness,” he whispered as he lifted Jema easily.
    Thank you,” she whispered in between the contractions. Tor carried her to a small cave only a few steps away from the path she’d been following. It wasn’t the best shelter but it would have to do. The next pang hit violently and she whined, doing her best to keep it quiet.
    Tor lay Jema gently on the mazhy floor and left her to the arduous task of birthing. Drositiri, those Genzetti living above the mountains and not under them, were responsible for the birthing of their own children. No midiva. No aetha. No one to help if a problem arose. The infant’s imi’I alone bore the burden of responsibility.
    The pangs came so close together now she could hardly catch her breath. And she dared not utter a sound louder than a groan for fear of discovery. Adurdrao was merciful and her ordeal was over almost as quickly as it had begun.
    As if the babe knew danger lurked nearby, she uttered not a sound beyond the coughing necessary to clear her tiny lungs. She opened her golden eyes and gazed into her imi’I’s pale green. Thus Liha Natro, child of the high suns, was born in silence.
    Liha, you are your A’ada’s child.” The whispered words broke under the weight of raw emotion. The beauty of her ulu’u filled her with equal parts of joy and dread. With her looks, the child could never be brought back home. She had harbored a small of hope if the the child had been a strange blend of her green and her life-mate’s gold. She could’ve passed the infant off as her kreh. But the golden babe in her arms would never be mistaken as any offspring other than Aol Natro’s. She shared too many of his features.
    She could lie and say the child was born after the suns had set. But a new law still doomed her child to death for there would be no witnesses who could verify the truth of her words. And she couldn’t urge someone to lie for her. What kind of a legacy did she really want to leave her child? Jema allowed her tears to roll silently down her cheeks for quite some time before Tor coughed respectfully warning her of his entrance.
    The suns are slipping into night as you weep. What will you do now? I know you wouldn’t have come to me without some kind of plan.”
    The new imi’I nodded, tears still flowing down her cheeks. She set the babe to nurse at her breast and unveiled her plan. “She must be taken to Zim Haya Ne — to the temple at Si’Yinte Falls.”
    Tor jerked in surprise. “Why to the Bot’hani shrine? Wouldn’t it be better to take her to our own Guardian? Bal Shif is a good man and a servant of Andurdrao.”
    Jema shook her head slowly, sadly. This was not easy, would never be so. “No. She could easily be discovered there. Look at her, Tor! She is undeniably Aol’s ulu’u. If the wrong person spots her at Gild’n Shrine, they will know why she’s there. It would only be a matter of time before her blood would be spilled for the cruel pleasure of those who serve the false gods. I would avoid this early death for my child if it’s possible.” She bent and whispered her love once more in the infant’s tiny ear and then settled the babe at the other breast. She would feed her own child at least once before disappearing from her life forever.
    As the hungry infant continued to nurse, Jema carried on. If Tor was disturbed by seeing the nursing babe, he hid his feelings. A newly birthed babe must eat if it was to survive. And it suddenly dawned on him — the reason it must be Si’Yinte Falls. Gild’n Shrine lay far to the west and north, deep within Genzet, a journey of at least one moon-cycle if traveling on foot. And that was the only way he could travel and remain hidden. He nodded once and spoke softly. “I understand what you are asking of me, and why. Are you certain this is the best way?”
    It’s the only way, Tor. I cannot keep this child and protect her. To save her life, I must be kept apart from it. Will you watch over her as you are able? It will be hard to let her go completely. I would like to name you Liha’s krehto. This way, I can ask of her openly and you won’t have to lie when you reply. I know I’m asking a lot of you. I’ll understand if you choose to walk away. I wouldn’t hold it against you.”
    Liha finished nursing and fell asleep nestled against Jema’s heart, blissfully unaware of the danger she was in. Tor reached out his arms and waited, silently accepting the risky undertaking. If their ruse was discovered, they would all die, including poor Aol who knew nothing. If they could at least keep her safe until she was fully grown, she’d have a fighting chance.
    Liha Natro,” she whispered, “you are the ulu’u of Aol and Jema Natro. I give you to Tor Gervell to be his kreh. You will take his name now and forever be known as Liha Gervell.” And Jema set one last, gentle kiss on her ulu’u’s forehead before passing her carefully to the strong arms awaiting her.
    Tor rose to begin the journey but Jema called him back. “When she’s old enough, will you please give her this?” She passed a small pouch to him.
    He nodded as he asked, “What is it?”
    My dai’ir and pa’ir. I can’t even display them in our home now. My poor A’ada would shed many tears if he knew what the Drositiri have become.” Tor slipped the pouch into one of the large pockets of his breeches. The prayer bracelet and religious book of Genzetti prayers and songs would be safe there.
    Are you certain, Jema? There’s no going back. I could be a witness for you.”
    Can you imagine the uproar it would cause? You are known all over Genzet but the Drositir haven’t forgotten you are Tanderali. Besides,” she clicked her tongue as she waved away the temptation, “I would never ask someone to lie for me. She will live. You will keep me informed of her progress. And that must be enough. Why did I not see this might happen when Aol came begging for my suit?” After a moment, she answered her own question. “Ah, I was in a hurry and Aol was handsome and charming. He still is and I do love him… Perhaps it’s a fitting curse for my reckless choice.”
    Andurdrao loves all the faithful Children. Hold tight to your faith, even if you have to keep it inside for now.” Tor frowned as he stood tall and strong before her. She’d chosen Aol and he never chose another. What a heavy burden she’d asked him to bear. Was there ever a truer friend or a more pure kind of love? As he walked away, she heard his fading voice, “Walk well the path, Jema.”
  • Day 16 - A Book That Shaped You as a Reader - See the books  listed on days 5 and 10.
  • Day 17 - Books on Tour (books you've traveled with) - My Kindle app goes everywhere with me, but I've taken many physical books traveling with me.
    The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers - My first copy of this book was purchased through a mail order book club. I lost that copy somewhere along the way and had to replace it recently. The first time I read it, I cried through most of the story. The characters and what they faced truly gripped me and I couldn't stop. If you like historical, inspiration fiction, then don't miss this one.;
    How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell (I'm still disgruntled over the movie adaptation since there was no girl in the story. There was no romance at all, since the book is targeted at younger male audiences who are more interested in adventure. The story was fine the way it was written. It seems all kid shows are forced to include both genders now. *head shake* Token appearance doesn't equate to equality. Why not just use a larger book pool so you don't have to change the story? I tell you now, my girls, who were much younger when the book came out, absolutely loved the story as it was written and would've eaten that up as a film. We did enjoy the story they showed in the film...it just wasn't the story which was written in the book. The introduction of a love interest changed the whole dynamic.);
    Surprised by Joy by C.S. Lewis - We read this book as part of our school curriculum a couple of years ago. It went with us when we traveled to be with family over Christmas holiday.;
    Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, & Roots by J.C. Ryle - I started reading this one sometime in 2017, I think. It took me a long while to get through it. This wasn't because it was a terrible book or badly written (though whoever edited the free version I found on Kindle should be held accountable for their terrible faux pas). It was more because the concepts were amazing to me and I wanted to really concentrate of what I was reading and truly understand the topics being discussed. It's an excellent book and I found it interesting that many of the problems the church faced in the late 1800s are problems we still face today. I read most of this one as we traveled to and from church.
  • Day 18 - Favorite Classic - J.R.R. Tolkien's book, The Lord of the Rings (linked above), was epic, both in scope of the story and in the sheer amount of time and hard work it took to put it together. But it was never awarded 'classic' status, as far as I know. I haven't researched it lately so that may have changed. That would be one change which would make me happy, I think. Though it technically doesn't qualify, it more than qualifies in the cult classic realm, I believe.
  • Day 19 -  Have you already been asked to sign books? - Yes, mostly by family and friends. 
  • Day 20 - Share your WIP mood - That's difficult for me and I don't know why just yet. I do know that Zec most often asks himself why Andurdrao has chosen him to be an Emissary. There's also a lot of disappointment in general with the way Genzet is being torn apart from the inside by factions and religions. It kinda gives it that "argh" vibe, if you ask me.
  • Day 21 - Do you have Easter eggs, or hidden messages, in your novel? - Not on purpose. My mind doesn't work that way so for me to write that way would add another level of difficulty.
  • Day 22 - Favorite Non-Fiction - Hands down, that would be Tolkien: The Authorized Biography by Humphrey Carpenter. I really felt like I knew Tolkien a lot better when I finished reading it. I cried at the end because Mr. Carpenter (or I believe now he's actually a 'Sir'...so...Sir Humphrey?) brought Tolkien to life in a way that was unexpected and wonderful. I'd love to own a copy of this book one day. I borrowed it from our parish library. 
  • Day 23 - First Post Ever - My first IG post was a picture of three chainmail orbs I made for some friends. I still work the chainmail sometimes, but my hands get older every day and the arthritis I started dealing with years ago doesn't exactly let up. 
  • Day 24 - Favorite Quote From WIP - "There is no revolution in which only one life hangs in the balance." - This was spoken to Tor Gervell by Guardian Zim Haya Ne.
  • Day 25 - What genre do you write? - YA Fantasy and Fantasy
  • Day 26 - A Short Scene From Your WIP - It's too long to add it here. I've share it as a link to a Google Doc. Just click here to read it
  • Day 27 - Inspiration From the World Around You - I love watching the sun rise through my work area window. The colors of morning are so different from the colors that appear in the evening. The sounds are different, too. And then city life compared to country living is another lovely contrast. A couple of my family's favorite places to go are the local coffee shops and Blaze Pizza. With my peculiar food allergies, the latter is one of the few options for me when it comes to pizza. But really, any place I go is inspiring because variety just seems to spur the imagination.
  • Day 28 - Favorite Research Books - I like to collect books on topics. Some of my favorites are books on different mythologies, a book about all kinds of symbols and their history, and books about games.
  • Day 29 - Shoutout to People Involved in Your Work - Several of my friends and family helped me out by reading my manuscript for Ripples and giving me their thoughts. LC, J&J M, and DB are just a few of the friends who helped. My mom read an advance copy, too. Thanks to them all!
  • Day 30 - One of my favorite artists whose focus is fantasy art with lots of humans involved is Boris Valejo. The cover of Mirage is gorgeous. It's so dynamic and striking in addition to being beautifully framed. I love the font which pairs well with the artwork. It struck me quite forcibly how this image is similar to the section in Ripples where Yetsye meets her ancestor in a vision. It's not exact, of course, but very similar. (To those offended by artwork focusing on the human form, my apologies. When done correctly, I find this artwork inspiring and honorable.)

And now for the slideshow...


 

Comments

Popular Posts