January 2019 Writing Challenges: #WritingtheSenses Challenge Wrap-Up

In spite of the busyness of life, I've been surprising myself by keeping up with two writing challenges and my commitment to blog every day in January. I have to say, though, that I'm really looking forward to throttling back to two or three blog posts per week. It's been harrowing. I know my limits and I'm coming really close to them.

This week calls for refining those details I put down into words last week. The picture is coming together and I want to make it the most vivid mind image I can. Details make the work, indeed! But how I write the details matters.

#WritingtheSenses Challenge Week 4 and Wrap-Up



Day 22 - You'll see, I made changes even after I made the header photo. LOL The editing continues...
Zec hesitated too long and she offered, “If you’re feeling better now, there’s another place I like to go.” There was no request for him to continue, no urging to bare his soul.
He stared at her a long time before he stood. She smiled again, unbothered by his steady gaze, and chattered on. “This path isn’t quite as slippery as the one we took to get here. If you’re worried, just let me know.” It galled him to show such weakness to younger person but he gritted his teeth and tagged along. It wasn’t her fault he couldn’t swim.
Zec was forced to admit one thing, though. Liha was quite possibly the prettiest being he’d ever seen. She was certainly the brightest. Her golden hair, skin, and eyes shone like the suns. As Tsifi’Ra and Mit’Ra bathed her in their brilliance, she beamed it back into the world around her. He’d never met many people but she was unlike any other Genzetti of his acquaintance.
Together they followed the path into lush cover. “These are achich trees,” she chattered. “During Dishi, the leaves fade to gray-white. When the winds shake the branches, the downpour of leaves look like an ice storm.” The spindly bows edged the verges, so close the light dimmed to golden green.
“And these are orbana.” She pointed at shrubs dotted with dainty white blossoms nestled at the feet of the achich. The blooms seemed to light the path with a soft glow making the place feel even more mystical. And everywhere was the music of water — from laughing streamlets to roaring falls. Zec had never experienced anything so strange or beautiful in all his sun-cycles. Liha truly fit well in this place, no matter her heritage.
The verdant tunnel opened into a brightly lit clearing loosely paved with more of the wide, flat stones. A deeper stream whispered and flowed through the center. She pointed him toward a simple bridge. Upon closer inspection, the craftsmanship amazed Zec. Shiny green-black absin stones arched gently from one bank to the other. Teardrop-shaped finials topped four short posts carved with abundant floral filigree. A square gazebo topped with a sweeping roof awaited them on the far side. Golden tassels danced in the breeze at each of the up-turned corners. A wind-catcher sang under one eave while a light-catcher winked at him from the opposite. Liha beckoned Zec to follow her in and he stood in the center. What he should do now, he wasn’t sure. There was only one bench and it lay along the wall closest to the water.
Day 23 -  I've definitely enjoyed my own challenge and the way it's pushed me to achieve some interesting goals in my own work. I like how it's opened up my mind to some great possibilities for my current WIP, Over Land & Under Stone. Read on to see how I responded to yesterday's challenges.
A mewling cry pierced the air of the grotto. The five moons beamed rays through the natural skylight high above. Twisting branches of iwista trees which clung to the steep, rocky walls painted misshapen fingers of shadow and light across the boulder-strewn floor. A young woman writhed on a patch of soft yellow mazh bathed in the silvery glow. She wailed once again. The midiva and a Genzetti couple were the only witnesses to her struggle. The latter had sworn to adopt the reluctant babe should its imi’I breathe her last.
“The infant is being difficult. It isn’t turned properly,” the old midiva grumbled as her wrinkled hands set to work. “Steady breaths now. Find your rhythm.” Her gravely voice trailed off as she turned the entirety of her focus back to the task or encouraging the babe into position. The woman's raspy, but rhythmic breaths echoed off the grotto walls.
“By Andurdrao! Was a birthing ever so hard?” Ren Inessi  whispered to his life-mate as they each clasped the woman's hands.
“O’boer,” gasped the woman through her tears, “do you remember your promise?”
“I wouldn’t be here if I’d forgotten it.” Ren replied instantly, wishing to put her at ease.
“No.” Her tired smile faded as another pain hit. She hissed and keened. When it passed, she could barely catch her breath. She murmured a weak thanks.
Ren nodded and intoned, “I will always help my family. Family is always first. Family is most important.” He enunciated each word, making sure she heard the reverence in his repeated oath.
Day 24 -  Yesterday was totally focused on getting a better grasp of my plot line, especially in the last section of my WIP. I thought I wouldn't make my challenges yesterday and wouldn't get today's blog post ready in time. I'm still pushing it... Yikes!

Do you also groan inwardly (or even aloud?) at some of the mistakes you find in your writing? I certainly find myself doing that a lot. At least, it seems like a lot... My favorite meal of the day is breakfast and I find it showing up at least once or twice in all my writing. Interesting, eh? What's your favorite meal of the day?
Liha paused to take a bite of her geshiju, a berry pudding baked in a crust. The creamy filling topped with crunchy crumbles burst with sweet-tart flavor. She savored every mouthful. Since the first time she tasted the Bot’hani dish, it had been one of her favorites. “Remind me to give the cook my thanks for the geshiju.” She smiled gently before swallowing a gulp of khaf’ket imported from the Ikhel'dur. The rich, dark brew warmed her and improved her spirits even more.
Day 25 - As I mentioned before, some scents take us back in time -- to people or places that hold meaning, sometimes a deep meaning. As a writer I need to keep in mind that not all scents trigger happy memories. But in the scene I'm sharing today, the scents aren't triggering anything except the excitement that the prey is nearby, just up the trail...
One corner of her mouth rose in a crooked grin. Long ago, many thought it cute. Now the gesture hovered on the edge of menacing. Back home, her imi’I would’ve scolded such a blatant display of contempt. But here, no one could see it, no one could judge. Besides, since when did she care what others thought? She’d spent most of her life forging her own path in spite of her imi’I’s machinations. Who’d want to bond with a pale Drositir like her? She’d long ago resigned herself to the fact. Oh, yes! They wanted to touch her, but not if it meant bonding.
She grimaced at the sour memory. If she had listened to the jibes and criticisms of those around her, she’d be back in Masori Cavern, serving the lowest ranking Master by doing the most menial tasks that person could think of. Her grimace turned feral as she smiled, fangs fully bared. She had shown them all what sheer determination and belief in oneself could achieve. Many questioned her devotion to Andurdrao when she first set foot down the Assassins Path. They didn’t realize she didn’t have to let go of her faith. How was this guild any different than the others? She was given an order, paid, and followed through just like any other working member of Genzet. Hers was an honorable trade.
A bare root brought her forcefully back to her senses. She tripped around the next curve in the path and berated herself for wallowing bad memories. A sudden gust pushed against her bringing with it the sharp hint of goma trees, tangy woodsmoke, and voices. Ibin offered a silent prayer of thanks to Andurdrao for the root and the sore toe it left behind. She deserved no less for her mental lapse.
Day 26 -  I don't normally post on Sundays but I thought since I'm sharing specific pieces of my work, it might make the blog posts easier to read. They're certainly shorter this way. :)
Those false deities! They brought only chaos and disarray to Genzet. She stopped to catch her breath, propping her elbow on a nearby tree, and spat with disgust. She could hardly believe she might never be able to live with her child because of those imaginary things. But surely there would be a way to visit the youngling from time to time. Thanks be to Andurdrao for small mercies!
She reached the far side of the clearing. Pounding footsteps behind her sent her into quick hiding. Just as another pain hit, a leather-booted leg stepped into her hiding spot. In spite of her condition, she gripped the thick ankle with both hands intending to escape, no matter the cost.
“Jema Natro,” the deep, rich voice chided. She remembered it well. And the frisson of pleasure it had once induced in her younger self.  Tears brimmed and blurred her vision as she scanned upward. When she met the gentle, clear gray eyes that had lowered to her level, she loosened her grip on the soft leather.
“Tor Gervell! It’s been a long time but, I must speak with you. It’s urgen…” Her voice trailed off in a groan. She doubled over with the force of this one. Her precious, impatient child would not wait long. When she could speak again, she begged, “Please, Tor. There is no one else.”
Before she finished her plea, he was kneeling beside. He knew — could see what needed to be done. “I beg your forgiveness,” he murmured as he lifted Jema easily.
“Thank you,” she whispered in between the contractions. Tor carried her to a small cave only a few steps away from the path she’d been following. It wasn’t the best shelter but it would have to do. The next pang hit violently and she whined, doing her best to keep it quiet.
Day 27 - We're coming to the end of the month. How have you done? The day after tomorrow (or tomorrow) if you're following along on social media) begins the wrap-up of the Writing the Senses Challenge. Think back on what you've done over the month and be prepared to share some of your best highlights.

I've been having fun with these challenges. What about you? What challenges have you accepted and met this month so far? I'd love to hear about them in the comments.
He’d gone only twenty long strides before he encountered the beast. Zec’s limp form hung from one of the three tail tentacles. The other two twisted and whipped out viciously fending off any attack from the rear. The drakmaugh gave even the most experienced hunter reason to pause. Tor was no different but he had to act quickly or Zec would be lost forever.
Such a dark denizen had no need of eyes. Large vertical slits encircled the top of its bulbous head. They opened and closed as needed to catch the most distant noise.  The one facing Tor opened just as the Master stepped into range. A gurgling growl barely registered in Tor’s keen hearing, the barest warning of impending doom.
One paw the size of the Tor’s chest shot out, its bracelet of tentacles writhing and grasping for any prey the poison-tipped claws could sink into.
Day 28 -  So round one of editing on the passages I posted over the past seven days. Does that mean I'm finished? Not at all! It only means  my story will get better from here on. I'll keep polishing my work until it's good and shiny. And then, if the budget allows, I'll find an editor to help me make my project the best it can be. If not, I'll do my best with the help of some volunteers and go from there. Either way, progress on book two is moving along and I'm so excited by the things I've learned over the past month up to this point. Read on to see how I responded to yesterday's challenge prompts...
"You're wonderful. There's no need to rush. Please take your time to polish your talent." - Shirou Nishi (Quote from 'Whisper of the Heart' [Mimi wo Sumaseba], a Studio Ghibli film)


Day 29 - If you participated in my challenge this month, what was your favorite piece of inspiration? Or maybe you created inspiration boards like me. Which one of those was your favorite? I'd also love to hear why it's your favorite. Mine are shown below. I love these most of all the ones I created during the first week of the challenge because sounds trigger things for me, as do certain scents. I love the sound of well-made wind chimes and the clean, fresh scent of the outdoors. The smell of freshly tilled dirt always reminds me of home and my family's connection to the land. And music has been a part of my life since the time I was conceived.

Day 30 - I don't know why but I love trying to draw what I see in my head, even if I'm terrible at it. And coming up with glyphs has always been fun, though there's always the fear that something I've tried has been done already. I guess I got interested in glyphs vaguely as a kid. Then, later in life, I discovered the Myst computer game, I really fell in love with them.

Day 31 - I did it! I finally made it to the last day of the two challenges. I'm so glad I stuck with it and met the goals I set for myself. And if it helped someone else, then I'm really glad I decided to share my challenge with others.

I think I'm most proud of being able to order my scenes in a better way and iron out one of the more troubling plot holes. I'd love to say more on this but it would definitely spoil the surprise. <sigh> If you want to get sneak peeks of my second book, be sure you're following me on Wattpad. When I iron out my chapters well enough, I'll start sharing them there for feedback before I finalize everything for the completion of the project.

So that concludes the #writingthesenseschallenge of 2019. I may do it again next year but I might come up with a different challenge.

Since I'm done with my challenge, I'm going to go back to posting on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday only. Posting every day is really time consuming and if I'm going to have OLUS ready on time, that's where the bulk of my effort needs to be spent.

And now for the slideshow!


Comments

Popular Posts