May 2019 Book Notes: Brenda Hiatt

 This week's book review is also quite short. In this case, though, I was wide awake and in no hurry. I just wasn't quite sure what to say without spoiling the book for the next reader. I like many elements of the story from the hero and his attitude to the general plot line. But there were also pieces I felt could've been done in a different way and in my mind, made the story better. That's just personal preference, though. Read on to check out my review.


Book Review: Rogue's Honor by Brenda Hiatt

 

Rogue's Honor (The Saint of Seven Dials, #1)

Rogue's Honor by Brenda Hiatt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Rogue's Honor was a good adventure with a wonderfully woven plot. I enjoyed most of the book, though I thought it dragged a little toward the end but it picked back up for a fabulous finish. The characters all seemed spot-on for the time period and were consistently crafted throughout. I wasn't too fond of Lady Pearl's choice but I understood why she might resort to that in her situation. It did make sense in a way.
If you enjoy rogues as heroes and determined female characters, you might like this romance story.

View all my reviews

Oh, wow...this was indeed shorter than I thought. So I will add a few more observations here.
I prefer my regency romances to adhere to the proper etiquette of the time. While I understand there were affairs and intrigues going on all the time, I would like to know more about characters who were carving a path within the moral high ground, as those people seem to be fewer in number. For me, the hero did this to a greater extent than the heroine in this novel. I admired his sense of honor. A tiny piece of my heart cried at the sacrifice (and in my mind, sacrifice is an excellent choice of word) she made due to being backed into a corner by her stepmother. I got really frustrated with the way things were playing out about four of five chapters from the end, but then things turned around. It was almost too perfect at the end, though. She still gets everything she wanted...kind of unbelievable considering the rest of what was going on. I sort of expected there to be some sort of loss toward the end and there wasn't.


Overall, I really like the idea of the plot. The hero sold this story for me and that's saying something for a secular romance novel.

I've been reading like a mad fiend this year! Stay tuned for another book review next Wednesday. I find myself gravitating toward romance lately, but I want to start reading more fantasy. Maybe I'll have some fantasy books ready to share with you next month. Here's hoping. :)

Comments

Popular Posts